Ding Ding Ding, Round One

Natalie

Now, something felt weird about letting a total stranger sleep in my house. I mean, it felt weird both times. With Jake and Kayla.

With Jake it was awkward because I felt safe, yet like I needed to have my guard up.

I hadn't gotten any sleep the night he was over. I kept awake in my bed waiting for the moment I'd discover he was a psycho and he'd come to creep on me. Thankfully, he never did and I only got spooked by some rodents. I gained a lot of trust in him after that.

Having Kayla over would be easy, because she was a girl and I wouldn't have to hide her from my parents. I could just tell them she was a friend from school spending the night.

It was fun hiding Jake from my dad. Though, now my mom would be home and I wouldn't be able to get as much past her, so it was probably best to have Kayla with me.

After the meeting at the coffee house downtown I said goodbye to Jake and took Kayla back to my home. I didn't really know what to do with her, so we just went up to my guestroom and set her up.

Jake had left his backpack and things in the room, but Kayla assured he wouldn't need him and that he'd probably be back the next day.

I was alright with alternating babysitters, it would keep things interesting.

Things really got interesting when my cousin Dave showed up at my front door asking for some CD's.

It was almost five o'clock when he showed up. Kayla and I were in the middle of watching Mean Girls when the doorbell rang.

I welcomed Dave in to join us, but he told me he was only here for some music. As I brought him in, Kayla eyed him wearily as if he was a threat.

When Dave saw her, he grinned.

"Hey," he told her.

She raised an eyebrow (of apparent approval) and nodded. "Hey."

"Oh," I popped in. "Dave, this is Kayla. Kayla this is Dave."

"Nice to meet you," Kayla put, relaxing a little.

Dave put his hands in his pockets casually. "Yeah, you too." He glanced at me briefly like he was trying to say something, but I couldn't figure out what. He gave a slight shrug and turned back.

"And who's that?"

I was going to tell him it was just me and Kayla, but when I turned to look at him, he was pointing to the back of the room where a girl dressed in black stood, staring.

Kayla and I both gasped.

"Get him out of here," Kayla ordered, jumping up with a bow already in her hands and arrows at her side.

I didn't know people actually used bow and arrows anymore.

"Woah, what the-" Dave muttered, staring her down.

"Now!" Kayla yelled, shooting arrows at the girl, who miraculously dodged every single one.

I reached for my cousin to take him away, but he was already moving forward to help. He picked up the closest TV remote and chucked it with incredible force. It barely had an affect on the girl, though.

"Natalie!" Kayla yelled at me.

"Dave!" I yelled.

I started for him, just as he started for the girl. I didn't know what he planned on doing, but I knew it wouldn't end well.

I grabbed for something to throw, but all I picked was a pillow. I watched as my cousin dove for this creepy girl and I ultimately decided I'd join in on the fun.