Chapter 3

I kept spinning and spinning, trying to get this ballet move right. On the eighth spin I lost my balance and fell on my butt.

"Shit." I mumbled, rubbing my ankle.

"You did well. I just think you need to concentrate more." Preston, a guy I dance with often, said, helping me up.

"I keep trying, but I just can't get it right. I need to perfect it." I stated.

"You still have a lot of time, Grace." Preston replied.

I sighed before looking up at the clock on the wall, "Is that the time?! Crap, I'm gonna be late!"

Preston grabbed my arm and I stopped gathering my stuff, "Chill, Grace. I'll drive you to school."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah. It's no problem." Preston answered.

"Oh, my god. Thank you!" I smiled and hugged him.

I quickly got dressed and Preston drove me to school. I gave him one last hug before getting out and running up the stairs and over to my locker. Once I grabbed my English stuff, I closed my locker door and began walking to Mr. Fitz's class. I got a text from Noel, inviting me to his party tomorrow when I ran into someone.

"Crap!" I exclaimed and my books fell to the ground, along with the other person's stuff.

I bent down to grab my things and I noticed the hallway got quiet and I looked around, everyone was watching. I moved my eyes to the person and I ran into and I stopped breathing,

"Toby."

He smiled, "Hi, Grace."

We stood up and I handed him his notebook that I grabbed, "How long-?"

"Today's my first day back." Toby answered.

I looked up and the clock, "Um, I've got to go to class. I'll see you around?"

"Yeah, see ya."

"Better stay away, Gracie. He'll ruin you."

We went our separate ways and I got to class on time. In the middle of English, when Mr. Fitz was writing on the board, a crumbled piece of paper landed on my desk.

Detective Wilden took Hanna for a chat -Aria

What about?

I crumbled the paper up again before tossing it to Aria.

Don't know. Also, Toby Cavanaugh is back.

I know. I talked to him this morning.

What did he say to you?

Not much, really. We just said 'hi' to each other.

Be careful around him.

He won't hurt me. He wouldn't.

The bell rang and everyone left the class. Emily, Spencer, Aria, and I met outside by Hanna's locker to wait for her. She came over and we asked what happened. Hanna said it was just the same questions, and she just sat in there most of the time while Wilden answered phone calls.

Apparently when I ran into Toby, I didn't grab my independent reading book for English and he ended up with it. The next day at school, I opened up my locker and saw it there with a small post-it note from Toby saying that I chose a good book.

That night I wore a sleeveless black lace dress that flared out and ended about mid thigh. I put on tall black heels and straightened my hair. I put on pink lipgloss and mascara before leaving with Spencer.