Chapter 8

"That's why I took the blame for you guys. Ali blackmailed me." Toby finished and I sat down.

"And that's enough to want her dead." I stated, staring at the text that Aria sent me.

"Just because I didn't like her doesn't mean I wanted her dead." He replied. "Please believe me when I say that I didn't kill her."

"Why do you believe him?"

"I believe you, Toby. I didn't doubt you for a moment." I sighed when my phone began ringing again. "We should probably head back down to the party."

Toby gave me a small smile and held out his hand for me to take. When I stood up, I became light headed. My knees buckled and I fell, hitting my head on the counter, causing me to black out.

"Grace!"

...

"Toby" I groaned as I was jostled up and down.

I barely opened my eyes enough to see that we were in the car. We hit another bump and I groaned. I weakly lifted my hand up to feel blood on my forehead.

"It's going to be okay, Gracie." Toby said, grabbing my hand.

I heard ambulance sirens and I was able to see that we were in front of a hospital.

"No, no, no." I mumbled, shaking my head, making it ache more. "No hospitals."

"Gracie, you're bleeding badly and you hit your head pretty hard." Toby replied.

"Please." I begged, "Please."

"I'm sorry, Grace."

He put the car in park and got out, coming around and lifting me out of my seat. I began to hyperventilate, causing me to black out again.

...

When I came to, I was no longer in pain. There was a beeping to my right and I felt a railing on the bed. I was in a hospital.

I opened my eyes and the brightness hurt. I slammed my eyelids close and groaned.

"Look who awakes."

"Grace?" I heard my mother call my name and squeeze my hand.

"Mommy." I croaked out, "The lights."

"Hold on, sweetie." Mom's hand disappeared and reappeared in a matter of seconds, "Okay, I turned the lights off for you. Now open your eyes."

I slowly opened my eyes this time, blinking multiple times before focusing on my mom. She had mascara streaking down her face from crying.

"Oh, thank god you're okay." She said, smiling. "Toby really did a number on you."

My eyes widened, "What?"

"Toby Cavanaugh. He pushed you and you hit your head. Do you not remember?" Mom asked.

"I remember." I replied, "And Toby didn't push me. I fell."

"Grace, if you're trying to cover up for this delinquent-"

"He's not a delinquent!" I exclaimed, "And he didn't push me."

 "Then how did you fall, Grace? You never fall."

"I wasn't feeling good." I responded, "I was lightheaded."

The door opened, "Which is a symptom of anorexia."

"Excuse me, Dr. Hayward?"

"Your daughter is anorexic, Mrs. Morrison." The doctor stated.

"No, I'm not." I responded.