Chapter 9

Monday came and I had to go to school. I put on a cute floral sweater with jeans and converse and put on some basic makeup. I went downstairs and took some pain pills with some toast before my mother drove me. I stood at my locker, grabbing my books as I heard someone touching multiple lockers,

"Grace. I know you're there." Jenna said from next to me.

"I'm kind of in a rush." I stated, closing my locker.

"Do you have it?" She asked.

"I... I don't, and no one else does, either. Listen, you don't have to worry about it anymore, okay? It's gone... for good. I answered.

"What? What are you talking about?" Jenna questioned.

"Just what I said. It's gone." I repeated.

"I hope you're not lying to me." She sneered before I quickly walked away.

I made it through the day. Barely. Everyone kept asking how I was, and I was getting sick of it. Once school was done, I was out of there. I walked home, and when I got to Toby's house, I froze.

On the back of a truck was Toby's motorcycle. And it was extremely beat up. There were dents in it and the front tire was at a weird angle. I saw Jenna sitting on the front steps sobbing.

What happened to Toby?

...

"So, is Toby dead?" Hanna asked, rubbing my back.

"I couldn't bring myself to ask. Jenna was so upset. But his bike... it looked like it was... like it was wrecked." I stated, looking down at my lap.

"Well, I'm not gonna cry over this, and neither should you." Spencer said and I glared at her.

"Spencer, if she liked him she can cry about it." Hanna defended.

"Well, I'm sorry for speaking." Spencer said before going quiet, "Look, she's right. I... I can't tell you what to feel."

"I'm sorry for what I said about your family yesterday. I didn't mean it." Hanna said to Spencer.

Wait, what?

"It's true. You're not the first person to think it." Spencer replied.

My phone beeped and I grabbed it from my lap,

"It's probably Aria. Something weird's going down at her house." Hanna said.

I stared at the text and tears formed in my eyes.

"What is it?"

Spencer grabbed the phone from my hand, "'Thanks for getting Toby out of my way. 'A.'"

I buried my face in my hands and Spencer touched my arm in comfort.

"It's for the best, Gracie."

...

"I was afraid she wouldn't get it done in time for the memorial. This was someone from your mom's gallery?" Hanna asked as Spencer and Aria pushed a giant box into the living room of Spencer's house.

"Right." Aria answered.

"Where is your mom?" Emily asked.

"There's an apartment above the gallery. So she's staying there. For now."

"Kind of weird, isn't it? Your mom moving out." Hanna stated.

"Yeah, like my dad should have left. That's what you'd expect."

"Aria." Spencer scolded.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. The whole thing just sucks." Aria apologized.