Chapter 6

The next day I was out on a run when I saw Toby sitting in The Grill.

"Keep running, Gracie. Don't you dare go inside."

"Hey." I greeted him as I sat down, "I was hoping you'd be here."

"Why?" Toby asked.

"I really like tracks three, seven, and nine. Nine was the best." I told him, "And I'm sorry about last night. Really sorry."

I stood up and kissed his cheek, "I'll see you at school."

"He doesn't really like you."

"Then why did he make me a CD?" I asked,

"He's using you to clear his name."

After I got home, I quickly showered and grabbed the CD off my desk and left the house. I walked down the street to Toby's house and climbed up to his window. I quietly entered his room and set the CD on his desk. I grabbed a note pad that was sitting there and a pen, writing him a note, 

There are a few girl songs on here, so keep an open mind ;)

                                                                                                 - G xoxo

...

Emily, Hanna, Spencer, and I went over to Aria's house after getting Chinese food. She was laying in bed with headphones in.

"What are you doing?" Aria asked when Spencer took her headphones out.

"An intervention."

"We brought takeout and rag mags." I smiled.

"But, you cannot have any of those until you get out of these sweats." Hanna said.

"What's wrong with these?" Aria questioned.

"Nothing... except they're starting to graft to your skin." Spencer answered.

"Well, they're comfy." Aria defended.

"So are mom jeans and platform flip flops." Hanna retorted.

"Plus, how are we gonna help you choose a homecoming dress if you don't try some on for us?" Emily asked.

"That's easy. I'm not going." Aria said.

"What do you mean you're not going?" Hanna questioned,

"Yeah, you can't just not go." I said, putting my hands on my hips

"What are you doing instead?" Emily asked.

"I don't know," Aria looked at the magazines, "I guess I'll just read these and inhale a gallon of chunky monkey."

"Hey, cutting yourself off from the rest of your life is not gonna help your parents. And besides, they still might work it out."

"They're barely speaking to each other." Aria replied.

"People get angry. They blow up. But that doesn't mean it's over."

"Emily, they didn't blow up over her dad missing their anniversary, he slept with one of his students." Hanna responded before turning back to Aria, "Sorry."

"I'm just saying, things could blow over by Friday and by Monday all is forgiven. Some things just take time." Emily said.

"Yeah, maybe."

"Okay, so you're coming?!" Spencer exclaimed,

"I'll think about it." Aria replied.

"Well, if you're not coming, can you at least cast an abscentie ballot?" Hanna asked and we scoffed, "What?! I need her vote."

"Hanna, stop already. You've got homecoming queen locked down." I said as I sat on a stool.

"Really? Spencer can rig the election?"

"Sorry, I have enough to do already, thanks." Spencer replied. "I'm head of committee, half is out sick with the flu, so I'll be restocking the ice and refilling the hummus bowl, and trying to look cute for my first official date."

"With Alex?" Emily asked.

"Wait, you're bringing him to Homecoming?" Aria questioned. "So this is real."

Spencer shrugged and I laughed, "Look at her blush!"

After talking about guys, Hanna announced she was hungry and grabbed a fortune cookie. Was she looked at her fortune, she gasped.

"Lions and tigers and bitches, oh my. There's no place like Homecoming. See you there. -A."

We each grabbed a cookie and read the fortune. They were all the same.

...

The next day at school I was at my locker when Toby walked up to me,

"Hi."

"Hey." I smiled,

"I was about to look for you." He said.

"You were? How come?" I asked.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about something." Toby answered and I stopped walking so he could talk, "Um, do you want to hang out tomorrow?"

"I would, but I'm going with my friends to Homecoming." I replied.

"That's too bad." Toby pulled out two tickets, "I was hoping you would go with me."

"He's trying to get close to you. Don't let him, Gracie. You're stronger than this."

"To Homecoming?" I questioned and he nodded, "I didn't think that was your scene."

"I have a scene? I didn't think listening to The Smiths alone in my room was a scene." Toby joked.

"You know what I mean." I replied

"I think what you mean is you don't want to go with me." Toby said.

"No, it's not that. It's just that I thought you would think that Homecoming was lame."

"It is pretty lame. But... you'e not." Toby stated.

I smiled, "Okay. I'll go with you to Homecoming."

"So I'll pick you up at nine."

"Sure. But it starts at eight." I replied.

Toby laughed, "Lame."

"He'll hurt you. But since you won't listen to me, I'll just sit back and enjoy the movie."