Memory lane(5)

"You...YOU BASTARD!" I yell and smack him across the face. He didn't stop me, and he definitely could have.
"I'm so sorry about taking away your memories." He says, sounding genuinely sorry.
"That's not why I'm mad!" I yell.
"What? Then why?" He asks confused.
"You left me!" I say, my voice cracking, almost crying.
"Ann-"
"You don't get to call me that anymore." I say. I go to get in my car but am stopped by him pulling me back.
"Let go!" I snap.
"No, hear me out please." He says, looking me in the eye. He didn't compel me, but it felt like he did. I could never stay mad at him. I sigh. "Fine." As soon as those words leave my mouth he smiles and we start waking together.
"Oh and I see my brother fancies you." He says randomly after a few minutes of silence.
"Kol doesn't fancy me." I say.
"Really? I was going to give you an invite to the ball myself, but he insisted he do it. Also I didn't say Kol...Oh and he won't shut up about you. I think Bekahs about to dagger him herself." He says and I roll my eyes.
"Sure Klaus, sure." I say, already knowing that I've forgave him.
"Did you know you were the first person to ever call me Klaus?" He asks.
"I doubt that." I say.
"It's true." He says softly.
"And now everyone knows you as that." I say, realizing.
"Correct." He says, dimples showing.
"You dork." I joke.
"You love me." He says confidently.
"Klaus..." I start, knowing it was going to ruin our best friend moment.
"Yes, love?" He asks.
"Why did you leave me?" I ask so quietly, that a human wouldn't have been able to hear.
"You deserve to know I suppose." He says, sighing. He looks me in the eyes once again.
"You remember when and why I left you." He compels/un-compels.
~~~~1214~~~~~~
"Klaaaaaus!" I whine.
"What Ann?" He asks, annoyed.
"Why do we always have to leave? I actually like it here." I say.
"Because we're in danger." He says, still packing.
"From who...or what?" I ask.
"Love, this isn't the time to ask questions." He says, distracted.
"When is? You never tell me anything. What, do you not trust me?" I ask.
"Of course I do, as I will explain later. I give you my word." He says.
"Klaus." I whisper.
No response.
"Klaus!" I say louder.
Still no response.
"NIKLAUS!" I yell, frustrated.
"WHAT ANAKA?!" He snaps, his face vamping out. I stumble back.
"If you do not tell me now, I am leaving." I say stubbornly.
"Then leave! I do not need you." He says, still mad.
"...Fine." I say, trying not to sound upset. I grab my things and walk out the door.
"Ann wait! I am sorry!" I hear him say, running to me.
"You do not need me. I am a burden. I shall leave." I say, upset.
"You aren't a burden. Never will be. I always knew I needed to let you go. I wish I would've learnt that before you became a vampire. You could've had a normal life...I could not live with myself if Mikael hurt you. My sweet Anaka, you will always be my best friend." He says, sadness drenching his words. I stare up at him, confused.
"I will find you again one day, I promise." He continues. Just as I was about to respond, he looks me in the eyes.
"No! Klaus please!" I yell, knowing what he was going to do.
"I have to. I need you to be safe. You will not remember me. You won't remember I turned you or that we ever met. You can only remember when I say you can. Live a good life as a vampire, explore the world. And if you feel unsatisfied with your life in a few centuries, go back to where we met. I will find you. You will not remember this conversation. Goodbye Ann." He compels me, and in a blink he's gone, leaving me confused as to why I'm in the forest alone, at night.
~~~~~Flash Back over~~~~~
"You left to protect me." I say slowly, realizing.
"I would not have let you out of my sight other wise." He says.
"Well, I'm still mad at you." I say.
"Don't be stubborn." He says, rolling his eyes playfully. I look at him with a When am I ever not stubborn? look.
"As much as I would love to continue chatting with you, I must get ready for the ball tonight. Save me a dance, will you?" He asks.
"Hmm, maybe." I say teasingly. And with that, he's gone.