1

Rory Gilmore was in the zone. Despite the fact that she was in a crowded office, the only thing she could hear was the steady clacking of her keyboard's keys. Her phone began to ring and she only picked up the phone when she saw the caller ID.

She wedged her phone between her shoulder and her ear so she could keep typing. "Hello Mrs. Danes" she teased.

"Oooh, you sure know how to flatter a girl, don't tell my husband!" she gave a fake and over the top giggle.

"Uh-huh..."

"Rory?"

"Huh?"

"Now it's your turn! See, this is our bit. You're the city slicker who just came into town, flirting with me- the lovely yet adulteress-y newlywed," Lorelai explained to her daughter.

Rory was still typing quickly, "I don't think adulteress-y is a word mom" she said, sounding preoccupied.

"Hey there speed racer! Why don't you take a break from those crazy keys so you can talk to the woman who gave you life?"

She sighed, stopped typing, and actually held her phone with her hands. "I'm sorry mom, everything is just so overwhelming right now. I know it has already been a month and a half but I'm still adjusting to my new job and my new apartment..."

Back in Stars Hollow, Lorelai pouted, "Well it's a hard adjustment for me too! Ever since you moved to New York, I've been having movie nights all by myself and I can't even concentrate because I'm worried about the fruit of my loins all alone in the big city!"

Rory smiled at her mother's ability to bring humor to a difficult situation, "I promise I'll visit soon. But don't forget, you're married! Hangout with Luke!"

"Luke doesn't play well with others! He tries to monitor my coffee intake!" Rory could hear Luke defending himself in the background. Rory laughed and looked at her watch, "Hey mom I need to go, I have a deadline at midnight."

It was about 12:30 when Rory finally left the New York Times office. She had met her deadline with half an hour to spare but decided to spend another hour getting ahead on the next day's work. She was hungry, so she took a minute to search online for a 24-hour diner nearby.

Fifteen minutes later, she found herself at a counter, cradling a cup of coffee. Rory was busy typing a new article on her iPhone. Suddenly, she heard a familiar voice coming from her right, "Cup of coffee please."

Rory's head snapped up and she saw none other than Logan Huntzberger.

"Hey..."

Logan looked up into a pair of bright blue eyes. Logan couldn't believe what he was seeing. In the two years since his failed proposal to Rory, he had imagined seeing her many many times. However, this time, she looked very real.

"Rory?"

Rory smiled, "I didn't expect to see you here."

"And who did you expect to see?"

"Well, given that it's nearly 1 in the morning, perhaps a couple of starving artists, people coming back from a show, or even the neighborhood drunk!"

Logan chuckled, Rory still had the same sense of humor. She continued, "Unless... you are a starving artist who is coming back from your failed attempt at a show, and now you're resuming your usual position as the neighborhood drunk!"

He smirked, "actually Ace, I don't drink anymore." Rory liked hearing him say that nickname, it brought her back to their good times at Yale.

"Really? What do Colin and Finn have to say about that?"

"They weren't too happy about it, but when I was out in California, I started a much healthier lifestyle- no drinking, daily exercise, and I try to eat better too."

Rory feigned a gasp, "the Californians! They got to you!"

Logan placed his hand on Rory's back affectionately, "You should try it Ace!"

"Nah, I'll stick to my strict diet of coffee and takeout. I hear they say that a Styrofoam container a day keeps the doctor away..." she giggled.

Despite their breakup and not seeing each other for 2 years, everything felt comfortable again. It felt as if everything was naturally falling back into place. Rory with her sarcasm and lighthearted banter; Logan calling her Ace and acting as if they had never broken up.

The former couple chatted a little bit, but Rory soon noticed that it was getting really late, "Hey Logan?"

"Yeah Ace?"

"I have an early day tomorrow-"

Logan cut her off, "Oh no, you know that's my excuse when I want a girl to leave"

Rory laughed, "I actually have to be up in a few hours! I want to finish an article early so I can spend the weekend figuring out my furniture situation!"

"Haven't you been living here for like two months?"

"Yeah but I've been so busy with my new job that my two bedroom apartment only consists of a mattress on the floor, a fridge, and a microwave! Some of my clothes are in the closet but the rest is in boxes or in Stars Hollow."

"How about I help you find furniture tomorrow?"

Rory smiled, "I'd like that."

They exchanged numbers and Rory walked to her apartment with a smile on her face.