13

Rory brushed her fingers through her hair as she gazed out the taxi window. She attempted to quiet her nervous thoughts as she got closer to Logan's apartment building.

Everything is different now. We both live in the same city, he seems to be way more mature. Even Mitchum Huntzberger seems to be at least a little bit more kind these days.

Rory's mind trailed off as she tried to imagine what Logan had planned for the evening. All day, she had come up with different ideas of what he had planned for the evening. When they dated in college, Logan always had a knack for coming up with romantic surprises and dates. Before Rory could think of more possibilities, her phone buzzed. She excitedly unlocked her phone, hoping it would be a text from Logan, revealing more details about their date.

Hey ace. Really sorry about this but I have to cancel our night, something came up.

She frowned. This was certainly the opposite of what she hoped the text would turn out to be. She had spent hours imagining romantic gestures and the ultimate restart of their prior love. Perhaps she had gotten ahead of herself. After all, even if he did have something planned, it must have been less important than whatever "came up" in Logan's life. 

"We're here." The taxi driver yelled back.

"Oh actually-" Rory was so caught off guard by Logan's last minute cancellation that she forgot to tell the taxi driver she needed to change her destination. Before she could explain the situation, she saw a familiar head of blonde hair out on the sidewalk.

Squinting her eyes, Rory tried to get a better look. On the sidewalk, she spotted Logan warmly embracing a woman whose face she could not see, for it was buried into Logan's shoulder. Rory could feel her face get hot as she began to feel a mix of emotions: anger, jealousy, and outright confusion. She watched as Logan put his arm around the girl's back and escorted her towards the entrance of his building.

The taxi driver groaned, "I'm not gonna wait all day!"

Rory snapped back to reality, "Oh, sorry I had a change in plans" she explained. She gave the taxi driver the address to her own apartment building, and stared forlornly out the window as the vehicle made its way down the busy city streets. The whole time, her mind was evaluating her options:

Do I break things off with him before he has the chance to hurt me even more? Or maybe there is a valid explanation for everything. She could be a business partner...

Rory thought back to the intimate nature of Logan's embrace with the girl on the sidewalk.

If that's how he interacts with his business associates, I don't really want to be spending time with him anyway.

Rory felt her eyes brimming with tears. Her heart began to pull her in the direction of choosing to keep Logan out of her life for good. Despite the recent rekindling of their relationship, Rory did not want the possibility of heartbreak to jeopardize her career aspirations.