Chapter Thirty-One: Giving Up

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, N.L.PETIT 2015.

Chapter Thirty-One: Giving Up

If there was one thing that I could remember about Will, it was his predictability. He was brilliant. Impulsively so. An idea could spark in his mind, and he was slave to follow it through, almost as if he didn't have a choice. He wouldn't realize he'd done something wrong until the damage was already there. 

My entire plan -- my entire life -- was banking on that single trait.

I watched him try to contain his grin. I could almost see the triumph in his eyes. "So soon, princess? I thought you'd have more fight than that."

"I guess I'm not as strong as you thought," I said, playing along with what he wanted. "Just end it. Do it, please."

He came closer, and his hand cupped my chin. I tried not to jerk away as he tilted my head to look at him. "I will, sweetheart. Don't worry. There's one more thing we have to do, and then you're mine for eternity."

I nodded as if nothing sounded more appealing.

Will crouched and slipped his hands beneath my body, lifting me with ease. I hadn't noticed how much weight I'd lost, but the fragile feeling in my bones finally began to worry me. I hoped to the gods that adrenaline would give me the boost I needed to end this. 

Will carried me down a long hall. Water continued to drain out of the room, but he paid no mind to it. I wished I could change into my human form and walk on my own. The feel of his cold, dry skin against mine made me want to scream. 

The room we entered was much larger than the flooded room. It almost looked like a conference room, equipped with a large screen scaling the entire far wall with a projector on the ceiling. A long, skinny table took up the center of the room, and chairs lined its sides as if meeting were held here often. Ropes, chains, and other restraints dangled from the underside of the table, and I felt nauseous all over again. 

"What are we doing in here, Will?" I asked quietly.

After spending so much time in isolation, using my voice was beginning to take its toll. The raspy, unfamiliar tone made me inwardly cringe, but I tried to ignore the uncomfortable feeling. 

"You're ready for the bite, my love."

My love. I stiffened and hoped he didn't notice. I hadn't anticipated it would be so soon. 

"So soon?" I voiced. "I thought you said I wasn't strong enough."

He grinned wickedly. "I've changed my mind. I think you'll do just fine. I'll just have to... bite you in more choice locations."

My stomach churned, and if anything had been in it, I might have been sick. "Choice locations?"

Setting me down, he turned and picked up a remote off the table to aim it at the projector. "I'll have to wait until your legs are back to show you those, princess."

I fought the urge to heave violently, and I almost failed. An overwhelming sense of dread filled me, and I forced my eyes closed and breathed through my nose. 

"Mark, David," Will called suddenly, "tie her up."

I gasped as two vampires emerged from the shadows and gripped my arms. They were surprisingly gentle, and when the fair-haired man met my eyes, I understood that he didn't want to do this to me. Unfortunately, none of us had a choice. The other vampire, the dark-haired one, gave one of my wrists a subtle squeeze as he attached my wrist to the restraints beneath the table. I comprehended his message immediately when he looped the rope into my palm, giving me the one opportunity I needed.