Chapter Nine: Distraction

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Chapter Nine: Distraction

I sunk into the leather seat as the scenery flew by the window without slowing. It was getting darker now, and the time on the dashboard read six-fifteen. I tried not to focus on how dark the sky was getting, hoping that obscure rainclouds weren't forming without me noticing.

"It's going to be a clear night."

Adrian's voice brought me back to the present. I turned my head to look at his profile, taking in the strong focus of his jaw as he concentrated on the road. He spared me a quick glance, gesturing to my hands as I looked at him in slight confusion. "You've been checking the weather constantly. You don't have to worry about it raining tonight."

He seemed so sure, and I believed him, putting my phone in my lap and shutting it off. We'd been driving down this road for about ten minutes now, and I felt a slight anticipation growing in my stomach as we passed as sign that stated "Now Entering Charlsboroe". Though, I had to admit the excitement most probably originated from the thought of spending time with Adrian instead of going to a carnival.

"How far away is this place?" I asked conversationally, not wanting the silence to stretch.

I felt the car speed up a small bit more. "It's about thirty or forty miles out of Chalance in Charlsboroe. We have about ten minutes left before we get to the main part of the city."

I'd never heard of Charlsboroe, but then again, I'd never paid much attention to the geography of the southeast. I stayed quiet for a moment as the car continued to speed down the mostly empty highway, busying myself with gazing at the trees and the wildlife running through them. It was even darker now and nearly six-thirty, but I still hoped I'd get to stay with him longer, no matter how much the rational side of me told me I shouldn't. The average-sized city came into view about five minutes later, and the flashing lights of a carnival surprised me in their intensity. It was almost as extravagant as the ones I'd seen in New York, filled with people of all kinds and rides that lit up the sky. I found myself smiling as Adrian parked the car a block away from the busy parking area.

I exited the car with him and looked at the arm he was offering me. Grinning internally, I stood beside him and let him curl his right arm around my waist, resting his hand on my hip. Tingles emanated from the space his finger brushed my skin just above my leggings, and I almost had to stop myself from letting my thoughts wander into darker places. We walked towards the entrance, which was elaborately covered with wild decorations. I smiled at the familiar feeling of the party and festival atmosphere. 

"This place is so loud," I laughed as we walked through the gates. The carnival was in the center of Charlsboroe Square, a small but ornate park with tall, willowy trees and decorative stepping stones scattered around.

Adrian chuckled beside me. "It's not the biggest place, but it can definitely pack a crowd."

"Have you been here before?" I asked as we passed several booths with workers shouting for our attention.

"No," he replied. "A friend of mine mentioned it. See anything you like?"

I glanced around, hoping to find an answer to his question. There were so many stands and attractions crammed into the Square that I almost couldn't focus on anything in particular, so I replied, "Not yet, what about you? See anything you want to do?"

His eyes flickered over me and then met my own, and I fought away a blush as I laughed and looked away. He chuckled at my reaction and said, "Follow me."

His hand traveled from my waist, around my body to my hand, and he began leading me through the thick crowd. I tried to hide the blush that still shone on my face as I walked, staying directly behind him to avoid losing him. People carelessly pushed past us until I finally resorted to standing in the shelter of his back, pressed against his t-shirt with my hand by my face. He turned then, moving his arm so that I was beside him with his hand keeping me close to his body. 

We stopped beside a row of varied entertainment stands, ranging from children's games to alcohol chugging contests. I laughed at the irony of it as we stopped somewhat in the middle beside a card reader, whose line was forming slowly as people waited to receive their fortunes.

"Want to know you future?" I asked Adrian, turning to look at him jokingly.

He laughed and replaced his hand on my waist. "I'll get in line, but only if you'll do it with me."

I returned his grin and nodded, pulling him with me as the line moved forward. About five people stood in front of us, and I didn't expect the wait to be long as another person entered through the bright red, cliché drapes of 'Madam Zerot's Table of Fortune'.

Adrian stood next to me and let one arm rest carelessly over my shoulders, as if it were the most natural move possible. I, on the other hand, had to struggle to keep from shaking at the idea of being this close to him. He directed his attention to me as we kept up conversation.

"Do you really believe in this fortune-telling mess?" he asked.

I shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "To an extent, I guess. I believe in fate but I'm not sure I trust that 'Madam Zerot' actually knows my fortune."

It wasn't a lie. I did believe in fate-strongly, in fact. The moon had a lot to do with my heritage, and I knew I had a destined soulmate. Everyone had one, I just wasn't sure if I'd ever meet him. Not every mer was lucky enough to find his or her other half.

Looking up at Adrian, I saw him nodding as if he liked my answer. "What about you?" I asked. "Do you believe in fate, Adrian?"

He didn't answer right away. I let my eyes wander, seeing the one person left in line before us and watching the people around us laugh without care.

"I think I'm starting to."

I twisted my head to look up at him, and almost pulled back in surprise when I realized how close we were. I could see the dark blue variations in his eyes and the sudden dilation of his pupils as he met my gaze. I could almost feel magnetism pulling me closer to him, and if I tilted my head just slightly, I could have almost--.

"Next!"

I stiffened and pulled away quickly. Looking forward, I realized we were up for our fortune, and I cleared my throat and pushed aside the curtain to walk inside.

That had been far too close. I told myself again that I wasn't ready for those types of feelings after what had happened back home; yet somehow, each time I said it I had a harder time convincing myself that it was true.

The dark atmosphere in the tent pulled me out of my thoughts. I had to actually try to find my way in the near pitch black area, seeing only velvet curtains and a woman sitting behind several flickering candles at the back of the space. I felt Adrian behind me and by the time we made it to 'Madam Zerot's Table of Fortune', his hands rested on my hips from behind and his chin was perched on my shoulder to watch the woman shuffle the cards. She looked us over blatantly, as if she was memorizing everything about our appearances, before she beckoned us forward with one blood red fingernail. 

"What do you need today, dears?" she asked with a thick accent.

"A fortune," I replied, "for each of us, please."

She looked at me studiously. She leaned forward, as if she were about to whisper to me a secret. "Why would you want that, dear? Your future is standing right next to you."

My eyes widened slightly and I felt Adrian stiffen slightly behind me.

"Pardon?" I asked with confused skepticism.

She continued shuffling the cards with a bored and somewhat condescending look on her face. "You two already know your future," she said, then straightened the cards out on her table. "But, if you want a fortune, I won't deny you one."

She flipped one card over. A smiling woman in blue resided on the upper half, and a figure running from water looked up from the bottom.

"One of you had it good, but tries to begin again."

She flipped another, showing a figure surrounded by a party scene.

"One of you is bored with your lifestyle."

Something like nervousness began to form in my stomach as she turned another card. This one was split down the middle: one side showed a figure half in dark water, the other showed a creature in a black forest.

Nausea shot through me.

"Something is hidden by both--."

"That's enough," I pleaded.

To my surprise, I wasn't the only one who stopped her.

Adrian's head had lifted up as he stood to his full height, towering above me once more, and looked at the woman over my head. I couldn't look at him in fear he'd understood something from her fortune. I couldn't think of anything except getting out of here. When his hand moved slightly to lie against my side, a shiver went through my torso but I forced myself to ignore it.

Madam Zerot raised her eyebrows and said, "If that is all then."

I nodded and freed myself from Adrian's grip, not wasting a moment to exit the tent. I put extra speed in my pace and ended up in a public bathroom seconds later, and I checked hastily to make sure no one else was there.

I pressed my hands against the cheap countertop and tried to calm down. That fortune could have led to outing my secret to Adrian. He could have looked at me in disgust and forsaken me, and he could have called me a liar and an inhuman aberration of nature. I honestly didn't think I could deal with that kind of rejection from him; the thought of him hating me tore at something in my chest.

With another glance at my reflection, I told myself to stop hiding in the bathroom. I backed away from the counter, wiping my hands on my leggings, and opened the door to walk outside. I looked around for Adrian, trying to see him amongst the crowds of people here. I could tell he was nearby; his scent was strong enough to lead me toward the right until I was standing a few feet away. He looked up as I approached, and a smirk covered his face as if we hadn't just been told we were each other's futures. Yet, I had to admit it comforted me as I stopped in front of him. Looking around, I realized we were standing under a ledge by a ride called 'The Twister'. I watched a little girl scream in excitement as it lifted off the ground and began to spin, before I looked back at Adrian cautiously.

"You alright?" he asked as I leaned against the bricks.

I replied, "Of course. It was just getting crowded in there."

If he didn't believe me, he didn't show it. He nodded and said, "Are you hungry? It's almost eight o'clock."

I looked at my phone and watched seven forty-seven blink across the screen. Where had all the time gone? I forced myself to be honest: I didn't want to lose any more time with him. "Um, yes, actually. What do they have here?"

He grinned, "Well, Angel, fair food is great and everything, but I figured you'd enjoy going to an actual restaurant."

Something about having dinner with Adrian excited me. I smiled in response and said, "That sounds good to me."

"Good."

His hand, which had interlaced with mine unknown to me, began pulling me away from the wall we leaned against. I all too happily followed him, staying close to his side through the flashing lights on either side of the makeshift pathway. 

"What are you in the mood for?" Adrian asked as we walked through the gates. The parking lot was much more dimly lit than the carnival, and I realized how dark it was outside.

"Italian?" I said, forming it into a question. 

I saw him turn his head to look at me from the corner of my eye. "Good. Italian is my favorite."

I gave him a look, and he responded with a mischievous grin, leaning closer to my face. "What, you don't believe me? I'm hurt."

He pressed my hand against his chest, and I laughed at his cliché response, leaning my head on his shoulder. I would've been surprised with how forward I was acting if it weren't for the familiar feeling I had around him. Any other man would've made me question myself by now, but I couldn't imagine questioning anything with Adrian.

I suddenly stiffened. Any other man, I thought again. I hadn't thought about him in days, but thinking about Will now was like a punch to the chest. Something dark and unpleasant coiled in my stomach, but I forced myself to focus on what was happening now. I could almost feel curiosity radiating from Adrian from my silence.

"Everything alright, Angel?" he asked. I was so close that I could feel his words vibrate through his body. 

"Yes, I just got a chill. It's fine."

He squeezed my hand a little tighter, and I leaned into his embrace as he wrapped one hot, muscular arm around my waist. The unexplainable feeling of wanting to stay here forever returned, and I didn't protest as he led me to his car and opened the door for me. I got in quickly, sinking into the black leather of the seats, and heard his door opening barely a second later.

As he started the car, he said, "If you get cold, you can change the temperature settings. It's about a ten minute drive to the bigger part of Charlsboroe."

I nodded, leaning back in the seat. I could tell the ride would be silent, again, if I didn't start a conversation soon. "So," I started, rummaging through my thoughts for an idea. "Do you know of any restaurants here?"

It was a lame attempt, but I saw him grin at my effort. He leaned forward and switched the heat onto a low intensity as he replied, "No, I don't. But I'm sure there are plenty of places to choose from, so we can go wherever you want."

"You'll tell me if you don't like the place I choose, right?"

His eyes shot to me dubiously. "Angel, I assure you, whatever you choose I'll like."

For some unknown reason, his words evoked a shiver in me. As if he knew, his eyes flickered to me before his hands tightened around the wheel, his knuckles slightly whitening. I couldn't help but notice the way the muscles in his arms, exposed by his shirt, flexed when he did that.

"If you keep looking at me like that, we won't make it to the restaurant."

I jumped slightly and jerked my gaze back to the front. Forcefully staring out the windshield, I tried to slow my quickly beating heart and swallowed the lump in my throat. 

Adrian parked his car in the corner of the parking lot, far away from any of the other cars. I wanted to laugh and roll my eyes; he was obviously protective of his shiny sportscar, as I was over my silver Mercedes. As I stepped around the door he held open, a silver glint caught my eye, and I looked at the glittering black hood of the car and gasped.

"Is this an Aston Martin?"

He closed the passenger door and clicked the locks. The lights on the car flashed for a second before going off. 

Throwing a grin of appreciation to the front of the hood--whether at me or the car, I wasn't sure--, he moved closer and slipped the keys into his pockets.

"A Vanquish," he said, pausing to look at me closely. "Like it?"

"Love it," I almost whispered. I drew my hand over the emblem, tracing its wing-like shape. "I wanted one, before I got my car a year ago."

He had ghosted closer to me, but when I looked up at him, he didn't seem to have realized he'd done it. 

"I've got a question then, Angel," he started, turning and leaning against the car. He gestured for me to do the same, but I looked at the sparkling paint as if I'd ruin it by sitting. Sighing, he reached forward and pulled me to lean against his legs, instead of touching the hood of the car. I almost melted when I felt his muscular thighs beneath me and his toned torso against my back. 

I tried to control myself as I said, "Ask away."

He shifted, momentarily swiping my mind of clear thought. "Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you living in a place like that when you drive a brand new Mercedes?"

"I usually don't live in places like that. I'm just staying there until I get on my feet and find a new place," I replied. I looked down and brushed my fingertips over the hood. "But my car is my guilty pleasure, I guess. I absolutely love it."

Adrian groaned quietly behind me. "It's not safe there, Angel."

"I know," I said. What he didn't know was that a human attacker didn't have a very high chance of hurting me.

I was sure he could tell I didn't want to talk about the apartment, and thankfully, he brought the subject back to the lighter side. "What stopped you from getting it?"

"Getting what?"

He patted the hood. "The car. You said you wanted one. What stopped you?"

My jaw almost dropped. "Do you know how expensive these are?" 

"Yes. I have one."

My cheeks flamed and I laughed at myself. My brilliant response was a simple, "Oh," before I regathered my wits. "That was supposed to be a figure of speech. I didn't mean..."

He chuckled and rested his hands on my legs. "I know what you meant, Angel. Don't worry. Now come on, before it gets too late."

I abruptly realized we'd just been sitting out here, aimlessly talking; yet, I hadn't felt the slightest awkward or strained moment while being with him. That thought surprised me, but I pushed it away as he began to stand up. I let out a quiet yelp of surprise as I slid down his front until my shoes hit the black pavement, and I heard a sound come from Adrian. I turned my head and watched his jaw clench, and for a moment, I could've sworn I saw a silver flash go through his eyes. 

It's nothing, I told myself. I had spent almost a week away from the water; I was just seeing things. But something inside me didn't really believe that, no matter how much I tried to ignore it.

"You ready to go in?" I asked, wanting to ease the tense look on his face.

"Yes," he said, threading his fingers through mine and pulling me forward. I followed him into the large restaurant, taking in the Italian theme with a quick glance around. It was created from dark reds and thick velvets, and it took me a moment to realize that this place was more expensive than I'd originally thought. 

The maitre'd smiled professionally and led us to a table near a large, stone fireplace. Heat radiated from it, filling the room with comfort as we sat down at a table covered in a black cloth. I absently touched the material as he left, noticing the odd color for a table setting with the red plates and red tinted wine glasses.

We sat comfortably for a moment, my eyes roaming the restaurant. The strange design concept continued throughout, consisting mainly of black and dark green with the exception of the plates and silverware. It was dark, but had a cozy and comfortable feeling that seemed opposite of my expectations.

"Hello, my name is Michael. What can I start you off with?"

I jumped slightly in my seat. I hadn't heard him approach. 

Adrian, somehow seeing my slip, smirked and answered the waiter. When 'Michael' turned to me, I came up blank and held up the menu, pointing to the first drink my finger touched. "Um, this.  Please," I added as an afterthought.

The waiter's untamed eyebrows rose in shock before he scribbled something down on his notebook, and scurried quickly away. I stared after him, my breath wedged in my throat, wondering what exactly I had just ordered to scare him away.

Before I could look, Adrian's hand gently directed mine into his line of vision, and a quick laugh escaped his lips. 

I grew hesitant. "What is it?"

"You just ordered a Jager bomb."

My mouth dropped. "What kind of Italian restaurant is this?"

"Hell if I know, Angel," he laughed again, looking around. 

While my mind blanked and I stared at the menu, a black tray was set before me with a regular sized glass and a shot glass. I immediately scrunched up my nose, leaning back, and I prepared to tell the waiter to cancel this order. He was already gone.

I looked pointedly at the glass. "I'm not drinking that."

He reached a hand and moved the tray to the side of the table, and then rested his humored eyes on me. "Not much of a drinker, are you?"

I squeezed my hands together under the table. "Bad things happened the last time I drank."

His gorgeous features darkened suddenly, and I curled back slightly in my seat. I realized how that must have sounded, and I was quick to continue, "I mean, I didn't do anything stupid with random men or any--."

"I know," he said, somewhat more gently, motioning to a nearby waitress. She didn't waste any time rushing to his side, though I could see the slight disappointment when he asked her to take the drinks away and cancel them on our bill. She pulled her half-full serving tray over and began to load the drinks onto it. 

I saw it happen in slow motion. As she set the plate onto her tray, it began to tip, falling slightly to the left. Full drink glasses slid towards the end, tilting dangerously over the ridge of the tray, before three water tumblers fell. 

Directly onto me.

Chapter nine, already? I know it took quite a while, but here it is :) So, what did you think? What did the fortune mean, and what will happen to Sophie now? Leave questions below, and please don't forget to Vote&Comment!

-Nicki:)

P.S. If I don't update again before next week, Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it!