Chapter Thirty-Eight: Booby Traps!

Shikamaru POV

As we continued to fly through the forest our chances of catching up to Beth increased. She and the group she was travelling with had obviously been moving at a fast pace, hoping to make the most of the time they had before dawn. Yet, they seemed unafraid of being followed, their swift movements leaving a noticeable trail.

I knew that what Sasuke had said was true. But that just made our mission all the more tiresome. We had to 'A', find them, 'B' get past the group of Orochimaru's henchmen, and 'C', convince Beth to come back with us. A task which from what Sasuke said, wouldn't be as simple as some expected it to be. From what Sasuke had summarised, Beth had left the village of her own accord, but that didn't eliminate varying possibilities which may have contributed to that fact.

I knew Beth. I knew her better then most. She was one of few kunoichi's my own age which didn't give me a headache. She had also built quite the friendship with Choji, a factor which further contributed to her presence in my life. From what I knew about Beth, I questioned every aspect of the circumstances surrounding her reasoning for leaving the village. Beth has always been fanatical regarding her training, but not to the extent that would cause her to betray the village she fought so hard to protect. But above all else, I knew that joining Orochimaru was something that Beth would never do. Not unless there was something else forcing her to do so.

"Shikamaru...?" Kiba said from in front.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I smell blood. Their scents were joined by two new traces, but now the original five are leaving the blood zone!" Kiba yelled as we continued.

"It's just as I thought." I started to explain to the rest of the group. "Beth is being guided to Orochimaru." My voice was calm and collected. I didn't want panic to arise from my deduction.

"Then let's catch up to Beth!" Naruto called from behind me.

"Shut up Naruto!" Kiba yelled. "You're not in charge here. That's up to Shikamaru to decide!" I sighed and continued.

"If there is the smell of blood that means there was a fight. I suppose we might turn up something by investigating but we can't just tear in half-cocked. We'll have to switch gears to scout mode and creep in at ground level..."

"And while we're playing detective, Beth will cross the border." Said Neji from the rear. I took into account his opinion and made a decision, weighing both options.

"So what are we doing then?" Naruto asked.

"We trail Beth!" I shouted so all the team could hear. "Listen... they've already fought once. That means they'll be even more guarded. They clearly considered the possibility that they're being tailed by an elite tracking unit. Chances are, they've laid traps and are lying in wait." I made my voice very clear so no misinterpretations could occur. "So put all your senses on alert. We need to find them before they spring a trap on us! And if you see any unusual signs don't just avoid it – interpret it!"

"Okay! When we find 'em I'll use my new technique and smash 'em to jelly!" Naruto's voice was full of determination and confidence. I could tell he was worried for Beth and wanted to find her more than anyone else of the team. It was understandable why he was so anxious to find her, she was Naruto's first friend in the village. To Naruto that was something of great importance.

As we approached an area of heavy forest, Akamaru barked. "Hey!" Kiba yelled backwards. "This area reeks of the enemy!" Glancing around the area, I instantly spotted a trap and yelled out, stopping everyone in their tracks.

"EVERYONE STOP!" My voice was desperate but firm. Kiba stopped only an inch away from setting off the trap. "Look up there, carefully." I pointed up at a letter bomb lying in wait on the trunk of a nearby tree.