Chapter Seven: We're Not Leaving You

Beth POV

As the day progressed, my mind was at war. Anxiety plaguing my thoughts at every turn. Despite knowing what was to come, I couldn't help but experience the overwhelming urge to run.

Zabuza's impending arrival began to wane on me more than I cared to admit to my peers. My heart pounded inside my chest, my throat dry like sandpaper. My hands were clammy and shaking.

Reaching in to my weapons pouch, I slid my fingers through three shuriken stars. I needed a distraction, something to put my mind at ease, at least momentarily. Pulling my hand out, I began slowly spinning the shuriken around on my fingers. The action itself was hypnotising, enough to keep me calm for the moment.

Sasuke, however, was quick to sense my unease. Turning to look at me, he shot me a confused expression, however it was Tazuna who actually spoke to me. Tazuna's eyes were gentle and relaxed, the eyes of a father.

"Are you alright Beth?" Tazuna questioned, his voice honest and concerned.

"I'm fine, Mr Tazuna." I replied, trying my best to keep my voice as level as possible.

"I wanted to thank you," He continued, his gaze falling to the ground beneath him, "for doing what you did to protect me earlier."

"Oh, well I had to. Occupational obligation and all." I replied, my eyes glancing in all directions. "Besides you should really thank Sasuke and Kakashi sensei."

"I would. Except out of all you runts, I seem to hate you the least." At that Tazuna began to laugh, a short forced sound aimed at masking a growing sense of insecurity. Playing along, I smiled before rolling my eyes. I saw no point in pushing the older man to confess his fear, and so I refused to push the matter.

"You don't have to be a grumpy old man all the time. Maybe, instead, you could laugh at something that isn't degrading to others? Who knows? You could start a trend." I replied, sarcastically. Tazuna smiled, his expression sneaky.

Tazuna nodded before picking up his pace, continuing along beside Sakura and Sasuke. Sakura had perfectly matched her speed to Sasuke's, guaranteeing that the two were always beside one another. Naruto sat at the front of the pack alongside Kakashi sensei, the two discussing Naruto's requested training once we arrived back in Konoha. I couldn't tell if Kakashi sensei was really listening, or just humouring the boy. But either way Naruto hardly seemed to notice.

Trailing the back of the group, I almost didn't notice as the group entered a clearing. The open area was surrounded by walls of trees, a small lake on the far side in front of us.

"Oh no." I breathed, keeping my voice low. Squeezing my hands into tight fists, I urged myself to stop the sudden shakes that began to take hold of my muscles. The six of us walked forward into the clearing, unbeknownst to the others that Zabuza Momochi was but moments away. Shooting my eyes around the clearing, my breaths became shallow, panic rising in my chest. Calm down, Beth. I told myself. Calm down.

"Beth what're you–" Naruto began when suddenly a huge sword sprung towards us. Launching myself at Tazuna, I pushed the bridge builder to the ground, the two of us narrowly missing the blade. Sakura and Sasuke dodged the sword, crouching to safety, whilst Naruto had to be pulled down by Kakashi sensei.

The sword embedded itself into a nearby tree. When the six of us regained our composure, we looked at where the blade had landed. Standing atop of the thick steel blade was a tall, muscular shinobi with a mask just like Kakashi sensei's. On his head sat a shinobi headband decorated with the symbol of the Village Hidden in the Mist. His legs were covered by a pair of striped white pants, the garment slightly loose and easy to move around in. His skin was an olive brown, but years of hiding in the shadows had caused it to fade, a grey hue now taking place of a healthy glow.