Chapter Twenty-Four: The Match.

Beth POV

I tried to ignore the looks of sympathy echoing from the people on the sidelines, watching a true match of David and Goliath. I could barely stand, my legs shaking, threatening to give way at any moment. Kabuto looked as if he had skipped the last two examinations, the only sign of his participation being the long cut across the bridge of his nose from the confrontation with the three water shinobi.

My heart beat frantically inside of my chest. As if I were experiencing a severe panic attack. My breaths were short and ragged, making me light headed. My hands were stiff by my sides, my eyes staring off into space, focused on nothing in particular. I could still feel the injuries from my fight with Orochimaru and Zaku, my shoulder wound still sensitive, my stomach screaming with every breath.

Kabuto gave me a wicked smile as Hayate cleared his throat, preparing to initiate the fight. Every other applicant, including the rest of Kabuto's squad, stood on the sidelines, waiting for our fight to be over but also keeping a close eye on what we did, examining our movements for future reference. However, I suspected many had their eyes on Kabuto rather than on me, since my condition gave me less than favourable odds.

"Alright. It's time for the first match to start. Take your positions." Hayate announced. I turned my head to the side and saw Kakashi sensei standing behind the rest of my companions, his eye fixed on me. It was obvious Kakashi sensei saw how afraid I was, as he gave me a nod of encouragement. My gaze shifted to Naruto, who gave me a supportive thumbs up, while Sakura gave me a gentle smile. Sasuke however seemed tense, his hands clenched harshly around the railing that stood as a barrier between the battleground and the sidelines. My eyes lingered on Sasuke for a few moments longer before I turned back to Kabuto.

I hadn't realised that Hayate had called 'start' until Kabuto lunged for me, his movement filled with fury. With no more than a millisecond to spare I managed to dodge his attack. My body flying through the air before landing a few meters from Kabuto, who had already prepared for his next attack. I watched as Kabuto flung six or seven kunai knives and shuriken stars my way. Grabbing one of my own kunai I managed to deflect all but one, the kunai knife slipping through my defence, slicing through the edge of my thigh. Without a second of peace I spotted Kabuto lunging for me once more, his expression fierce, reminding me of the master to which he served. Sliding out of the way I watched as Kabuto punched hard into the concrete flooring, the stone cracking from the strike. Looking down at my thigh, I noted the new additions to my ever growing list of injuries.

Kabuto turned to me, a smile on his face. His breathing was calm, as if he hadn't used any energy so far. I felt my injuries from the second exam catching up with me, my stab wounds and lacerations starting to bleed as I continually moved, pulling at the makeshift first aid Sakura and the others had attempted. I couldn't play the defensive game much longer.

At this point Kabuto grabbed something else out of his weapons pouch, some sort of syringe. Inside the needle was a clear substance, one whose appearance sent shivers running throughout my body. I pulled out my sword, poised and ready to use. The blade was as thin as always, the metal without a scratch, as if brand new. Kabuto and I lunged for one another, me with my blade poised in my right hand, whilst he charged with the syringe in one hand and a kunai in the other. When we made contact we bounced off of one another, the sound of metal on metal filling the arena. I had managed to slice a shallow cut in Kabutos left shoulder, making him grimace. However I only barely managed to miss the syringe he held, his hand perched to inject the needle into my arm.

Meanwhile, Kabuto had cleanly sliced a fine cut through my left hip with his kunai. Of course due to my condition, blood seeped from the wound like a waterfall, giving the impression the wound was far deeper then it truly was. The loss of blood gave me a momentary vision blur, but I quickly regained my composure. With my free hand I pulled out a kunai knife attached to a coil of clear wire. Throwing the kunai, I aimed for a position behind Kabuto, hoping he would dodge the attack. I was correct, Kabuto dodged the flying knife with ease. the kunai embedding itself into the wall behind him.