Chapter Five: Training or Beauty Sleep?

Beth POV

I was warm, comfy and snug as I lay, asleep in my soft bed. The blankets encased my body entirely, providing a sense of safety, of reprieve. That was... until I heard a loud knocking at the door to my apartment. My ears perked up as I listened for the noise again, hoping it was all in my head. But alas, another knock sounded.

Begrudgingly, I walked to the front door in my singlet and long baggy pants, before slowly unlocking it. Outside stood Kakashi sensei, his face fresh and somehow rested.

"Get dressed and meet me at the third training ground. Hurry up." At first I didn't register what he'd said. The only thing I wanted to do was sleep. I hadn't checked the time but I was sure it couldn't yet be dawn. Outside the sky was still dark, the sun still warmly tucked away. Grumpy, but obedient, I walked into my bathroom to get ready, rubbing my eyes.

It had only been a couple of days since I had become a real Genin. And in that time Kakashi sensei hadn't been able to see the majority my abilities. I had been practicing. Hard. Every moment I could. And with that training came knowledge of more ninjutsu and genjutsu then I had when I had graduated from the shinobi training academy. My taijutsu had also improved. I was faster than before and my flexibility was useful. Who knew that those years of gymnastics would actually pay off?

I put on a pair of black shorts and tank top, along with a pair of sandals, my weapons pouch and sword. I brushed my hair before returning to my bedroom to grab my shinobi headband which I used for a belt. At that I caught a glimpse of the alarm clock stationed next to my bed. The clock read 4:20 A.M. I yawned. I'll kill him.

Lazily, I locked my apartment door and began to run towards the training grounds. When I arrived, Kakashi sensei was already there. He made a sound of recognition as I made my way over to him. Beside him he had a variety of tools and weapons. Metal wire, kunai knives, shuriken, scrolls, smoke and paper bombs, as well as another sword, it wasn't as expensive as my own but it was still of good quality.

"Well, you've been a member of my squad for an entire week and I still have yet to see your skill level. Especially when taking into account your stunt during the survival test. According to your records, you scored only a few marks lower then Sasuke in the graduation exam." I nodded. "And although your deductive reasoning has impressed me, I wonder whether your other skills measure up".

"Ask me again when the sun's up." I yawned. Kakashi sensei laughed evilly, then, without warning, threw a few hidden shuriken at me. I dodged them, barely. However the attack had forced me awake. My eyes were wide open now, alert.

"What the hell was that for!?" I yelled, rubbing my eyes.

"Training. Your reaction time is good. Let's test your foot work." Without another word passing his lips, Kakashi sensei throw kunai knives at my feet, each with a paper bomb attached, ready to explode. With each attack, I managed to leap to a different place around the area.

Landing against a nearby tree, I used the momentum to run up the trunk before pulling myself up onto the lowest branch that would hold my weight. Kakashi sensei threw a plain kunai at me, forcing me to swing around the branch to another adjacent tree.

My breathing was heavy and ragged. My chest rising and falling quickly. But that didn't stop Kakashi sensei, who kept throwing every weapon he could at me, testing my reaction time, foot work, counter attacks and even close quarters combat.

When he ran out of basic weaponry he advanced on me. He was fast, faster then I imagined. He threw a couple of punches before advancing with some more tricky attacks. Managing to kick me in the back, I quickly pulled out a substitution jutsu, vanishing behind a nearby tree.