Chapter 3

Jo's POV

"Dr. Wilson I'll be right here." Callie told us. She seemed to be stressed.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw Alex sitting next to me on the bed. His hand reached out for my hand and he gently cleaned it with a wet tissue.
"I'm sorry." he mumbled.
I turned around but forgot about my hurt hand so when I wanted to support myself against the bed I let out an ailing noise. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I couldn't control it.
"It's okay. It was my fault anyway. I asked you a question you were not ready to be confronted with yet." I said with a still whiny voice.
"No Jo, let's not talk about whose fault it was. Because it was obviously not my fault that you fell down the monkey bars!" He looked at me with an evil grin on his face - damn, even that was cute. "You did what?" Suddenly Callie interrupted us. She let out a loud laugh. "You...you fell down the monkey bars?" Callie couldn't stop laughing.
"Keep it down a little okay?" I shushed her but I was also laughing. The fact that a grown up woman fell down the monkey bars was too hilarious. 
"So how did it happen?" she asked.
"Zola's foot got stuck in between the ropes and when I climbed up to pull it out I slipped... I must have hurt my wrist."
"Let's take a look." Callie said and checked out my wrist. It wasn't broken luckily, just sprained.

Right after we had left the hospital Alex was paged in again.
"I gotta go Jo, see you later." He kissed me and ran back into the hospital.
"Wait Alex! I should come!" I yelled after him. First I thought he didn't hear me anymore but he yelled back "No! Go home. Get some rest and don't forget the kids!"
The kids...oh crap. I must have left them in hospital.
"Alex wait!" I yelled and ran after him. When I reached him he turned around and said "I told you to go home!"
"We forgot Zola and Bailey upstairs."
"Oh god seriously? I have to go anyway! You'll be fine. See you tonight. I'll take you out for dinner." he said and disappeared in an OR.
I stood there trying to realize what he just said. "I'll take you out for dinner." Why would he do that? Was there something to celebrate? The only dinners we ever went to were between Pizza Hut and McDonald's. We were both not of the romantic - dinner - kind.

When I came back upstairs Callie was still waiting for us with Zola and Bailey.
I jogged towards her "Oh god I'm so sorry! I just totally forgot." I held Bailey in my arms and took Zola's hand. "It's fine." Callie grinned at me. "Yah no; it's embarrassing! I'm gonna be a terrible mother!" I said and walked away. Shoot. I hope she's not listened carefully to what I just said. "I'm gonna be a terrible mother." Damn it. Not even Alex knows and I'm already telling everyone else because I can never shut up.
As I walked away I hoped she wouldn't call me back. It was such a relief when I walked out of the hospital towards the car without Callie asking.

Alex POV

"What have we got?" I asked Robbins while I was scrubbing in.
"19 year old mother. The mother's fine, we had to do an emergency C-section. The baby's not so good, that's why I need you.
"Okay let's see what I can do."

*16 minutes later*

"Call it." Arizona told me. I hesitated. "Do it, Karev!" Her voice got shaky and angry.
"Time of death. 19:46" I said and threw my OR mask and gloves away.

I got home 25 minutes later. I had already talked to Callie so it was no problem to drop Zola and Bailey off at their house on our way to the restaurant.
When I entered the house I saw Jo walking down the stairs like in one of those cheesy romantic movies but damn, she looked so beautiful...and hot. She kissed me on the cheek and I just speechlessly looked at her, "wow...I mean....wow...you look...gorgeous." She smiled and blushed.

Jo's POV

When we arrived at the restaurant I was kind of curious. Was it just a date? Was something going to happen? He wasn't going to propose, was he?
After all, I could see that he wasn't acting normal, he was acting sad.
"Alex, are you alright?" I asked him with a worried voice.
"I'm fine Jo." he answered but immediately looked away as if he was holding back tears, not wanting me to see him cry. It made me feel a little uncomfortable. "Alex, what's going on?" I stood up, took his hand and dragged him near the restrooms, out of the 'eating area' of the restaurant.
"Jo I'm fine." he said with a shaky voice. "No you're not!" I replied.
"It's just...the case we had today... A 19 year old child having a baby. She lost it. She had never planned on getting that baby and it took her ages to accept the fact that she was pregnant. And when she accepted it, when she was prepared to be a mother, her child was taken away from her. Jo, life is horrible. Life is unfair. When you asked me about having kids today, of course I'd already thought about being a dad. Of course I want to have kids and a family. Of course I want a perfect life. But there is no such thing as a perfect life. What if one of us dies tomorrow? Without any warning? Just taken away from life. Jo I'm scared of losing you. I can't imagine losing you. I've lost everyone I loved in my life. Everyone I cared for either got cancer, went crazy or died. Jo, I love you and I don't want to ever wake up knowing that I won't see you. Look at Meredith. She had her perfect McLife with her perfect McDreamy and her perfect McKids. No one would have ever thought faith would beat her like that. I'm not perfect. Neither are you. And we both know that nothing in our lives ever went perfect. But we can make the best out of it like we've already done it. We can, Jo. Together, we can."

Alex just kept talking and I never had the chance to even say I love you back or to hug him or to kiss him. He just talked without taking a break. But I enjoyed it as much as it broke my heart seeing him down like that.
He suddenly went down on his knee.
"Alex - I -."
"Jo wait. It's not what you're thinking. Josephine Wilson, will you promise me to never leave me without any warning, never suddenly die or run away from problems. Because we can handle it. We can go through it together. I'm not asking you to marry me, okay? Because I know that this scares the hell out of you. But Jo, will you promise me to stick with me in sickness and in health til death do us part?"
I grinned. "You won't get rid off me so easily anyway, Alex Karev."
We stood there. Near the restaurant's restrooms, kissing. We both hadn't noticed that all faces were turned in our direction and everyone must have heard everything Alex said. And in that moment, I swear, we were infinite.