Chapter 6

2 weeks later

Alex's POV
Sarah was now 28 weeks old. Still not at an age where you could guarantee she'd make it. I mean, normally, babies are born after 36 weeks. But after all, we've not had any problems yet and also, Jo was doing better. We still haven't had a proper talk about before but I think it'll come with time.
I stood next to Sarah's incubator watching her tiny fingers move.
"Hey, little princess. How are you doing?" - I wasn't sure if it was just me or if she's actually moving differently while I'm talking. I sat down and just kept speaking.
"Look at you, you tiny piece of me. I'd have never thought I would ever give something that gorgeous to the world. You're a strong little girl. We're gonna get through this! Daddy's here." I paused for the second when I realized that was the first time I ever said daddy. I opened the little window of the incubator and reached out for her tiny fingers. I was aware that she couldn't press my finger or anything but it felt so good to just touch her and be there for her. After a little while, I closed it again and went back to work.

Jo's POV

"Brought you some coffee." I suddenly felt a hand touch my shoulder and someone handing me coffee. I looked up and saw Meredith standing in front of me. She gave me the coffee and reached for a chair, then pulled it closer next to me and sat down. I was a bit confused because Meredith was the last person I expected to accompany me I was while watching my baby sleep.
"How are you doing?", she asked me.
"She's getting better I think...I hope. I've been confronted with situations like that every day but never experienced it myself and never thought I'd have to experience it myself."
I had to hold back tears.
"No, Jo, I didn't ask how Sarah was doing. I asked how you were doing." Meredith smiled at me, a smile I've never seen before, coming from her mouth.
"I'm...I'm good, I guess? I've not had much sleep in the last 14 days but I guess that's normal. I'm a mother now, Meredith." I also tried to give her a weak smile, but it was harder than I thought. "How come you care?"
She actually gave me an understanding smile. "Jo, you know, I don't think I've always acted fairly around you. You're a great surgeon and you're a great person with a really strong personality. You sometimes remind me of myself. And in addition, you're my best friend's girlfriend. He loves you so that kinda means I love you, too?"
I'm pretty sure Meredith watched my eyes fill with tears because suddenly the emotions from 14 days exploded in me and I just fell in her arms and cried my eyes out.
She tried to calm me down and hugged me. My crying was interrupted by Sarah's heart machine that went off. I spun around and immediately checked her heart frequency that started to race and suddenly flat-lined.