One's Just A Loner

^^^Cover up above made by the amazing @JessieCae ^_^

Current cover credit to @erisistable

"Hey! Hey, arsehole!" I hollered, making said arsehole turn around.
Frostbite threw me a glare, her glinting brown eyes and tanned complexion really contradicting her name. But the snow-white, fading-into-blue hair of hers, that definitely stood out from the rest of her facial features. An ice queen. But Frost was actually rather warm and helpful. So it did usually take people a few hours to understand her nickname.
Frost was more the type to help out at an animal shelter and beat up bullies. Imagine my surprise at earning a glare from the Academy Institute of Advanced Arts' very own number ten socialite.

"British now, are you?" She asked, sparing me a distracted glance.

I caught up to Frost and looked at her questioningly. "Something up, Frostbite?" I piped. Her eyebrow twitched. "Leave me alone, Shift." I felt a bit worried. "Frost, what's going on? Seriously, you know you can talk to me." She looked straight ahead. Nothing, nothing. Just stressed about the Squads and Teams." I nodded. "Yeah. Assignment Day is tomorrow." I'd been hoping to get a Squad with a few friends, or at least one in it. It'd be nice to have something familiar to hold onto when thrown into the drastically different lifestyle of the fourth years.

At the Academy Institute of Advanced Arts, Assigning Day was the thing all the students of AIAA trained for, readying themselves and training for three years before finally being skilled enough in their own powers to go out in the field and start doing what they'd joined for. Albeit in a group, usually five people, under one of the ten Teams. The Principals and Administrators all got together annually to select Squads and under which Team they'd create an allegiance with.

There were no take backs on your Squad members. You were stuck with whoever the school staff deemed compatible with your powers on the field. And you'd be stuck with then for the next seven years.

Needless to say, people got tense before Assigning Day.

I had to admit, I was nervous too.

"Hey, Frosty, you're practically friends with everyone, aren't you? No worries on compatibility. You'll be fine. In fact, I'd be more worried about me. What if you're not in my Squad? What would I do without you?" Frost smiled at me, and I grinned back. "Thanks, Shift."

She looked up at the hall we'd stopped at and traced down the room she was headed towards. "Hey Shift?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't worry. You're a likeable person. Trust." She held up two fingers, making a peace sign. I laughed and returned the gesture. "Trust." Frost grinned and headed into her class.

I looked around. Class...oh crap. I looked frantically at the clock.

10:43

I was supposed to be in class ten minutes ago.

"Oh crap, of all days, it just had to be today, didn't it?" I pushed a hand to my temple, trying not to freak out. I had no wish to be in the bad books of the people who'd have my future fate in their hands.

Frostbite poked her head out of the hall she'd gone into. "Shift, c'mon. What're you waiting for, dumbo?" I felt puzzled. "What do you mean? I have to get to class...ugh, I don't even know which one..." Frost rolled her brown eyes and grabbed my hand, pulling me into the hall. I was about to protest, when I noticed we were in the Auditorium. "You really are a scatterbrain, Shift." She said. I smiled sheepishly. "Ah well. Right, the fourth-years beginning of school speech before Assigning Day, right, right..." Frost nodded, while pulling a blue clip out of her brown satchel and pulling back her side bangs to the absolute side and clipping them in place. "Where're Jet and Jans? The presentation's going to start soon." She mused. I nodded. "Hey, there's Mason." I said, pointing towards our other friend, a stocky, quiet guy with coarse dreadlocks kept short, his hair braided to his scalp and the short dreadlocks at the top of his head. I'd always thought it looked a bit like a tarantula. Without, you know, actually being one. Still, it looked pretty cool.