Prologue

XANDER:

The dead came with all they had. Rising from deep within the ocean. Coming at us from the thick forest. Clawing themselves out of their graves, covered in dirt and all sorts of grime. Their speed slow, but their accuracy spot-on in its deadliness. They weren't killing for food, they were killing to increase their numbers.

Technology failed quicker than expected. All that was left were generator-run lights, alarms to warn of attackers, and the occasional landline, but even those were few and far between. Civilizations fell by the dozen, and those that were left became smaller and smaller, enclosed by fences to keep the monsters out. Humans were taken off of the top of the food chain and replaced by these hell-beasts.

But the dead weren't the only monsters. When the time came to stand together, humanity fell apart. Man turned on man and brother turned on brother. People killed many of the corpses, and even more of their own. Death was all around us and there was nothing we could do to stop it from closing in and taking us.

We didn't know how or why, though one thing was certain: we thought killing these things would be easy, but they are so much more dangerous than they seem.