Chapter 2

Dinner

Fall leaves swirl past me along with a cool breeze that has me shivering in my coat as I tug it closer for warmth.

A quick glance to my right shows lots of tourists trapped on the boardwalk, wandering around like the lost mice they are.

I chuckle as I head towards the front doors of La Bella Italia, Bella waiting inside for me. People stream past, towards the boardwalk, not even paying me a second glance. It may offend others, but it felt nice to sort of blend in for once.

I can see why Bella comes here.

I push the door open with my shoulder, holding it for a small family of four that's leaving at the same time.

"Thank you!" Two little boys chirp as their mother swishes past me, breathing a quiet thanks as she rocks a baby in her arms.

I smile as they head for a small car in the lot, wondering if I'll have a wife like that a few years from now, kids just the same.

Not now, obviously, my life is up in arms due to the acting career, but I've been considering laying that all down, leaving show business quietly if I find my significant other.

Probably not if I keep this heavy strain of work coming.

When I walk in, a woman with blonde hair greets me with a coy smile, asking if I needed a table for a party of one.

"No," I tell her politely as a man strides over to us. "I'm actually here to meet someone."

"Are you Ms.Swan's guest?" The man asks, I nod, and he waves the blonde woman away who leaves with a dissatisfied huff. "Right this way," The man tells me, I suspect he's the manager, towards a small booth in the back where a small brunette woman sits, I suspect she's Bella, a woman with the name-tag that says Amber talking with her.

When Amber leaves, I'm almost at the table, when the Bella's head disappears.

I cautiously lean over the table to see where she went, to find her curled up in a ball, her eyes closed peacefully.

She was trying to fall asleep.

A quiet laugh slips through my lips as I sit next to her, gently nudging her shoulder.

"Hmmmm?" She mumbles, her eyes opening halfway.

"Good evening, sleepyhead." I smile.

"Edward...?" She questions, trying to sit up.

"The one and only," I tell her, my hands sneaking around her back to help prop her up. She sighs before thanking me, laying her head back against the back of the seat.

Dark circles are etched around her eyes, not as bad as the pictures I saw yesterday, but they're definitely there. Her hair is more of a dark chocolate rather than brown, full of thick and curly waves that brush past her shoulders. Her skin is deadly pale, almost translucent, but the faint flush in her cheeks gives her a slight rosy aura.

She smells like strawberries, too.

When she opens her eyes to look at me, I'm suddenly drowning in her dark brown orbs that are swirling with murky thoughts, framed by long, thick eyelashes that I saw yesterday (once again, in pictures), but it didn't even compare.

Her pink lips turn up into a smile as she sticks her hand out, mine are safely tucked in my pockets now, for me to shake.

"I'm Bella," She says "Sorry for almost falling asleep on you, I didn't get a lot last night."

"Did the Pledge get to you?" I tease, shaking her hand before getting up to sit across from her "I'm Edward, by the way."

She lets out a carefree laugh that has my insides warming "More or less," She giggles.