Chapter 3

House Call

Trees pass me by in a blur, their hues going from splotches of jade to olive green. My windows are rolled down as I drive down the seemingly invisible road to my parent's house down in Forks.

Three hours ago Esme, my mother, had called me as I was just finishing up my conversation with Bella - we had been talking ever since our meeting at La Bella Italia four days ago - asking if I was willing to come down, Emmett was supposed to arrive with Rosalie soon, Alice and Jasper had already gotten there.

Not wanting to disappoint my mother, I readily agreed, and now I'm heading through the same forest I used to play in when I was a child, driving back home to see my family and good friends.

I take a deep breath of the cool, damp air that seems to lurk inside Forks like a fog. I turn to look outside at the dense trees, and for a second I can see Emmett, Alice, and I running alongside the car, ducking and jumping over fallen trees and logs, laughing.

We look to be about four or five, and when I blink, we're gone.

The trees thin, then disappear completely as I drive down the small, gravel covered drive. All around me, the light green grass sways in the slight breeze that's picked up, the towering cedars that dot the land my parent's own casting large shadows on the perfectly manicured lawn.

I shift my car into park, right up next to Alice's bright yellow Porsche I bought her not too long ago, across from Rosalie's bright red convertible which is parked next to Carlisle's Mercedes Jasper bought him for Christmas last year.

"Edward!" I hear someone shout as I step out of my car, I shut the door and turn to see Alice running towards me, her arms spread wide. I grin at her as she jumps into my arms, giving my a tight squeeze. "Oh Edward!" She gushes "I missed you!"

"Hey Alice," I laugh, spinning her around a few times before letting her drop to my feet. "How're things? It's been too long."

"Oh, it has dear brother of mine, it has," Alice sighs unhappily before tugging on my arm. "Come inside, Mom's been waiting for you all day!"

It's been awhile since I saw my family, a few good, long months to be exact. I squeeze Alice's hand as she takes mine in her tiny one, and she casts me a smile. Most twins never really get along, it seems, but I know I couldn't make do without Alice.

She's the same way, too.

"Edward's here!" Alice cries as we head inside, walking into the first floor living space.

When we were little kids, Carlisle and Esme knocked out most of the walls on this floor and made it our playroom, turning us loose in here when they were tired and we were bouncing with energy.

Many games of tag and hide-n-go seek were played down here, memories are held here like captured ghosts, wandering the halls, waiting for someone to recognize them.

I hear someone call my name, but I'm lost in the past.

I can see little Alice playing with her dolls in the far corner, tears budding in her eyes because she had no sister to play with herself. I always had Emmett to wrestle and mess around with, but Alice's was Carlisle's only baby girl. She's combing the small doll's head full of bright red hair, I remember coloring on it when I was seven, making it blue.

That day Alice burst into tears and I've never felt so awful in my entire life since.

I can see Emmett and I in the center of the room, playing with little toy cars and trucks we crash into one another.

Esme and Carlisle are reading in a corner, talking quietly over top of Emmett's loud sound effects.

Then the scene shifts, instead I can see 10 year old Alice giggling with Rosalie, twirling her hair and designing clothing together. Jasper has also joined the bunch, and Emmett, and I are sitting on the floor with him, playing rock-paper-scissors and thumb war.