Chapter 4

Surprises

A cold breeze nips at my exposed fingertips, Autumn is definitely on the way.

People pass me by in a blur, tugging their coats close to themselves as the breeze picks up, seeming to blow the summer away. 

"Hey, watch it!" A man snaps as I stumble over his outstretched leg.

"Sorry, sorry!" I call over my shoulder as I brush past him, trying to gather my footing again. 

I dive through the crowd, in search for Bella. Passing people who're collected in groups, talking and laughing as the sky fades from a peachy pink to a deep scarlet, crystallizing into a brilliant indigo, small stars twinkling in the sky, the moon shining overhead.

Anxiety crawls up the back of my throat and takes over my mind, my searching becoming wild and frantic.

 I hadn't heard from Bella all week, and saying I was nervous and anxious about her the entire time she was silent would be an understatement. 

Was she visiting her mother?

If she was, what was going on? Was she okay? Was her mother dying, or was the chemotherapy working? Was remission in the near future?

How was Phil? Was Jane doing alright?

Most of all, how was Bella holding up? 

Or, if she wasn't visiting her mother like she said she was, what was she doing?

Was she okay?

Why was she ignoring me?

All my fears and worries disappeared as soon as my eyes found her. She was leaning up against a railing, tucked away from the crowd that seemed torn between staying and leaving. 

Her dark coat reaches her knees, billowing softly in the wind. Her hair was down, a baggy hat covering the crown of her head. Her eyes were scanning the shore line, occasionally flickering towards the crowd.

Looking for me.

An unnamed emotion swelled inside of me, threatening to burst me from the inside out, when I realized Bella was looking for me.

For me.

"Bella!" I shout, a few people around me turning to stare, scowls etched onto their faces.

Honestly, find something better to be upset about, please and thank you.

Her head turns, her eyes searching the crowd until they settle on me, standing there grinning like an idiot.

A smile tugs at the corners of her pink lips as she waves me over eagerly, her hair swirling around her face as the wind picks up, the tail ends of her coat snapping in the breeze.

"Hey," She says as I walk over, brushing my shoulder against hers.

"Hi," I murmur, tucking a wild strand of her hair under her hat. "How have you been?"

She turns to meet my gaze, the dark circles are back, with a sad smile.

"My mom, despite the treatment, isn't doing very well. The cancer is on it's way out, at least that's what the doctors think," She pauses, tears welling up in her eyes.

Without thinking, I reach out and wipe them away with my hand, yearning for some way to comfort her. But I don't understand, if the cancer is on it's way out, why is she crying?

"But," Bella takes a deep breath, leaning her head into my hand "I don't think she can make it, mentally I mean. She's depressed, Phil and I can hardly ever visit her because we're scrambling right now, Jane isn't allowed inside because... Because..."