Chapter 6

Happy Birthday

I knew I was dreaming, the surreal possibility that this could even happen was so far from my reach it wasn't even humorous. 

I was in a field, much like Carlisle and Esme's estate, and tucked nice and neat in the background was a white house, much like the one I grew up in.

I was looking down at the scene, a man with copper colored hair in a casual disarray was chasing three small children who also maintained the same colored hair.

I assumed the man was myself, and those would be my future children. 

Suddenly, two - bigger - children ran out from behind some trees, a boy and a girl. They were laughing, the girl swishing her chocolate colored hair in the green eyed boy's face. They bounded forward, rushing towards me and the three other children.

One of the other girls, there were three total, squealed and ran off, the younger boy darting after her. The other girl lunged for the bigger boy who was chasing the older girl, tackling him to the ground with a giggle.

The three began wrestling as I leaned back against a tree, watching those three and the other two as they plop down, panting because they were so tired. 

"Daddy!" Someone cries, and everyone's head turns as a little boy - who looks to be around the age of two - hobble down the porch steps, his dark brown eyes full of wonder and curiosity. 

The man lurches forward as the little boy wobbles, just as he loses his footing getting caught by his father who's sporting a huge grin.

"Hey, little buddy!" The man says, bouncing the child before taking him back to the tree where he was sitting. "Whatcha doin' out here?"

"I snuck away from Mommy, she was snoring." The little boy giggles "Easy peasy lemon squeezy."

The man looks up as a thundering crash can be heard from the house, and my head snaps up in harmony.

What was that?

"Bella?" The man calls as a woman with dark brown curly locks stumbles out onto the porch, her stomach blown up like a balloon. Dark circles are etched around and under her eyes, her skin pale, she seemed breakable with one touch.

But if she was the woman who gave birth to all these children with another on the way, she's probably indestructible. 

Did he say Bella?

"Edward! I lost him!" She shrieks "I lost one of our kids!"

I widen my eyes as the man laughs, waving his left hand over the little boy's head as the woman collapses onto her knees in relief, her left hand still gripping the porch railing.

Both were wearing wedding bands.

I married Bella?

And got her pregant with...

One, two, three, four, five, six...

Seven children?

What?

Suddenly, a beeping noise begins bouncing around in my eardrums though the scene keeps playing out. Bella carefully makes her way over to me, the eldest boy and girl helping her along the way.

Black spots dance across the sky as Bella is lowered onto the grass, next to me, leaning against my side, her hands wrapped around me as I kiss her forehead...

Ding!

I jerk awake, flying into a sitting position as my blankets tumble off the bed, my sheets in a tangled mess around my legs and arms. I breathe a quiet sigh, untangling myself from the crazed sheets, picking up my blankets and placing them on the bed before padding towards my phone, which is charging on a small desk on the opposite side of the room.