ix.

09

09. NINE : gwen's a cockblock

"Does this mean I have to write my story about you, Peter? The whole reason I am here is because of you." Ella said, scandalized by the new information. Ever since Gwen's cockblock on the bleachers, the two had found themselves in very uncomfortable situations throughout the day. Not just Gwen, but everyone else that had noticed the little spark between the two made the whole situation weird.

They had nothing to talk about by it did give Ella some actual time to think about school until the thought of her article popped into her head. That article should've been the most important thing going on in her life, but then Peter had to literally fall into her life. He made her job a whole lot more complicated and writing about Peter as this strong hero just seemed hilarious. Peter was not a hero type and yet there he was wearing spandex and saving people's asses who happen to get into trouble, just like Ella. Knowing who Spider-Man was, well, that was going to be tricky not to write about.

"Hey, Ella?" Peter looked back at her, hands gripped tightly around his backpack straps. All she could do was hum in response, twisting ever so slightly to give Peter her full attention. "Shut up."

Peter walked away, leaving a slightly shocked Ella. She frowned, her feet stuck in place.

"That's rude." Ella picked up her speed, catching up the Peter as he stopped at his locker, unsuccessfully trying to unlock the door. "All I was trying to say is should I thank you?" She shoved him out of the way, turning the dial, giving a small noise of triumph as she heard the final click. He gave her a faux sour look and unzipped his bag.

Ella stumbled a bit when one of the passing mobs ran into her. Sometimes, the school was way too crowded for her liking but it wasn't like she had a say in that.

"Why would you thank me, Carson?" Peter muttered, shoving a few of his unwanted textbooks into his locker.

Ella stepped closer, swinging on the locker door, rocking her heels with the motions. "Because you're the entire reason I'm technically here."

"Don't thank me." Ella let go of the locker.

"Aw, come on. You don't even know what my thank you is. I mean, it could either be a slap or a kiss, wanna take a chance? Or maybe it's all for nothing because all I do is say thanks and leave," she egged on, hand placed on her hip, a smug smile made its way across her face. "It's fifty-fifty, the odds might be in your favor."

"And I have a feeling it's one hundred-zero, so the odds wouldn't be in my favor. I don't want to be slapped by you, Ella."

She pouted. "Fine."

Peter rolled his eyes, throwing the last of his stuff into his locker. Ella crossed her arms, mouth set in a thin line as she followed Peter's every movement. For a split second her gaze turned into a glare before settling back to a neutral face.