xii.

12

12. TWELVE : red alert

Ella woke up the next morning completely dreading what was to come. It was like she just had a second sense that something was going to happen. After all, she can't have one amazing night with Peter without something going horribly wrong the next day. That was just how their life worked.

Triumph within tragedy.

Because of the events of the night before, Ella was so tired that she had actually slept past her alarm (something she did often enough that it wasn't a surprise if she were late anymore) and she rushed to school in a flurry of messy hair and shallow breaths. It was not her day, so unlike the night before.

That was her night. Just her and Peter. Perfect. Now she was a clumsy mess trying not to fall flat on her own face. It seemed like something she was trying not to do a lot.

So when Ella rushed into the school an hour late, it wasn't a surprise that Gwen was waiting for her by her locker. The blonde held a small smirk on her face as she watched the flustered strawberry blonde running throughout the high school.

Something crashed through the wall causing a students to panic. Ella didn't know what it was but it sure as hell was the weirdest thing she'd seen in her life. Spider-Man included. She let out a scream, grabbing onto Gwen's sleeve in a hurry. The blonde looked over at her with fear in her eyes but her face remained placid like she had seen things like this before.

"Oh, my god." Ella gasped as she looked up at the giant lizard that appeared. Unconsciously, Ella took a few steps away from her locker, he eyes never leaving the green giant. It's features were completely animistic yet somehow it's eyes seemed somewhat human, like there was someone underneath the mask. Well, there really was. It was Dr.Conners, the same guy who had hurt Peter the night before and that's probably why he was at the school.

Peter was there too. For some reason this guy had a vengeance that could only be filled by killing the one guy to helped him become what he was now. Ella stated frozen in her spot despite Gwen's frantic tug to her sleeve. It wasn't until Peter ran up to the two did Ella snap out of her gaze.

"You guys need to go!" He to took a hold of Gwen and Ella's arm, pushing the away from the lizard that was heading straight for them. "Go, go!"

Nodding, Gwen pulled Ella away who could only stare at the match that was going on behind them. She watched as Peter ran up to the lizard, trying all he could but eventually getting slammed into a locker. Ella let out a strangled gasp as she watched the lizard grab Peter and throw him again.

With each step running away from Peter, both girls got more and more worried. Her heart pounded in her ears so hard that it was all that could be heard. Well, that and her breath. She couldn't help but focus on anything but that. Corner after corner, two girls kept running, Ella being pulled by Gwen so the two would move faster. They didn't stop running until Ella pulled back on Gwen just as they were about to exit the front doors of Midtown High School.