chapter 12

After spending a week in solitude, depression, grief and guilt, something Laurie hadn't thought of happening did. He was broke. All what was saved, was spent.

  I have to go back to work he thought miserably to himself. If I wish to live.

Laurie was a rational young man who never gave up on life, but on reflection upon that single thought of ending his life, he knew he was practically done for. Laurie returned to the bakery the next day, apologized and started his work day. The door opened and a customer came in. A young man came in. Laurie looked up from his work, he knew the man, the man knew him.

 "Can I help you?" Said Laurie trying to hide the hatred in his voice. 

"I'd like a muffin please" Said Hector with equal hatred and sass in his voice. Laurie gave him what he wanted and cashed in the money. 

"Got tired of being a servant so you decided to become a baker?"

 Laurie smiled confidently. "At least I'm not a good for nothing tramp that ruins the life of myself and others. Good day mister Jones"

 Hector glared at him through squinted eyes then departed. The following day yet another unexpected customer came in. Laurie was too busy to notice anything but he was in the arms of his former mistress within a split second.

 "Oh how I missed you, you good for nothing freak-faced shank"

 He didn't even realize what was going on till she held his face between her hands and gently kissed his cheek. 

"Miss Smith by god what are you doing here?"

"That's your best way to start this Kingsly?". He blushed at how inappropriate a greeting it was.

 "I just missed you so much.." She said hugging him again. He held her back tenderly. 

"Who's this your girlfriend? Get back to work Kingsly before the boss comes" Said a nearby co-worker, then he looked at Arabella grinning "By the way I'm Josh"

 She rolled her eyes and let go of Laurie. "You're coming back with me, come on lets go"

 She started pulling his arm but he stopped her."Hold on Bella it's not that simple. For starters I have things back at the house. Two, How did you know I was here? Three, I am not going back with you"

"Laurie I understand every single reason that could hold you back from coming with me but you ought to".Laurie was about to speak when he noticed her eyes tearing up.

 "You ought to come Laurie". Her voice cracked. "Look at you. How long has it been since you've had something decent to eat or a warm bed to sleep in? I can't bear seeing you that way when I have the means to fix it". She paused to wipe the tears from her eyes. "If you ever were loyal to me, come back with me Laur"

Laurie looked at her gravely, thinking about what he was about to say and what it would lead him to,"I'll go tell the boss", and so he departed.

 He came back ten minutes later to find Josh leaning casually against a wall and Arabella under him, the two of them flirting together. He couldn't believe himself, she just never changes. 

"Ehem, Bella"

"great, lets go Laur". She turned to face Josh. "It was nice meeting you" She said in a smooth voice as she fixed his collar. 

"Very nice, yeah" Said Josh edging nearer to her face. 

"Alright, that's enough, let's go". Laurie grabbed her arm and walked out of the bakery.  

"Call me" She whispered back to the man, smirking.

 They got to the car and were on their way to the house soon enough. 

"What was all that?"

"Just for fun Laurie, it's allowed"

"Not in my book Arabella. You're a young lady, you shouldn't do that"

 She stopped the car in front of the house. "Welcome back papa Kingsly" She grinned patting him on the back.