Chapter 19 - Giant wave wreaks havoc as regatta ends in tragedy

Solentville Tales Chapter 19 - Giant wave wreaks havoc as regatta ends in tragedy

-

After swiftly making a timely exit from an embarrassing scene Mylene ditches Ken's car within a few hundred metres of her apartment.

She quickly takes a shower to wash away her smelly sins and then gets changed in to a new set of fresh clothes discarding her torn dress before departing once again in her own car a Volkswagen blue Beetle

She smirks to herself at the idea of paying Ken one last visit before the police and the courts decide to throw the book at him where he might end up with a custodial sentence for his rather lewd behaviour in their racy encounter.

Meanwhile Jan and Tom were now preparing to psyche themselves up for the yacht race which was about to start and we're getting quite nervous about the conditions their offspring might have to endure.

The sea was looking rather choppy and then there was an 85 mph gale to contend with which was beginning to affect the contestants grip on their boats.

At one point the organisers had considered abandoning the event on health and safety grounds but they relented and the start of the race was signalled with the loud sound of a pistol.

The early stages of the race were proving hazardous as the yachts began to run close to each other with several collisions happening by the nearby harbour wall.

These collisions and near misses were inevitable as the yachtsmen and women aimed to steer their yachts towards the safe haven of the open sea.

Meanwhile Ken had missed the start of the race but had managed to convince the security staff and police that he was not a threat despite the fact he had assaulted a guard,he would answer later for his indiscretions.

He quickly made his way towards the main entrance to "Ocean Village" before making himself comfortable in his private V.I.P. box.

He hadn't noticed or recognised any of his regular business contacts who might have attended the event but suddenly he saw Jan and noticed how Pensive she looked as he indulged himself with a nice glass champagne.

-

Ken- I say Jan is that you?,by jove isn't a small world?.

Jan- Oh my goodness look what the cat's dragged in Tom,what a bloody cheek I didn't think he would have the nerve to show his face around here.

Tom- Ken I'm surprised at you having the brass cheek to appear at this event,now do us all a favour and clear off and stay away from my family or I won't be answerable to the consequences.

Ken- Oh chill out Tom you should be more concerned for Lynn and Leo's safety and whether they survive to tell the tale if they manage to finish this race,it looks a bit rough out there ha ha.

Jan- Yes where are they exactly Tom?,can I just borrow your binoculars?,oh look there they are I think the conditions seem to be easing slightly.

I was just wondering if it might be possible for us to establish radio contact with them Tom?.

Tom- Well that might be possible if they brought the equipment with them and the CB radios I charged up overnight.

-

Lynn and Leo were really starting to struggle with the force 9 gale as their fragile yacht tried desperately to maintain an even keel.Port and starboard sides were getting constantly drenched with the sea waves,at one point the yacht almost tipped over in to the drink.

After nearly half an hours racing the field of contestants had been reduced by a third as retirements were becoming as common as a penguin suit at a wedding.

Suddenly out of nowhere a massive wave engulfed 6 of the yachts and their crews who were swept underneath it's treacherous path disappearing from view.

Quickly one of the other contestants raised the alarm with a bright red flare which alerted the local coast guard that a serious incident was now taking place.

In the meantime Jan and Tom had nipped out for a cup of coffee at "The Crown and Anchor" oblivious to the drama which was now unfolding.

Surely the race had to be abandoned given the dangerous circumstances but the organisers would have none of it as the rules stated that the race must be decimated losing half of it's contestants before a decision to cancel would be made.

Jan- what the hell is going on Tom?,look that's the second flare that has been launched and look there's a coast guard vessel making it's way towards the stricken vessels.

Tom- Don't Panic Jan I'll see what I can find out on the short wave radio,I say look at that wave over there,oh my goodness it's heading this way into the harbour we had better make a run for it.

Jan- Now who's panicking Tom

Lynn- Leo quick I think we will have to abandon the yacht and swim to dry land.

Leo- I'm not leaving our boat out here to be torn to pieces by this killer wave let's try and turnabout steering her in a different direction,help me with this sail we need to utilise this wind to our advantage.

Lynn- I'm going to attempt to make radio contact one more time.Hello this is The flying salmon requesting immediate help and assistance this is urgent we are in danger of being thrown overboard as our yacht cannot cope with this torrential wave which is battering us.

Coastguard- Hello Flying salmon we are aware of your status and your location and are making our way towards your position,we should be with you in about 10 minutes or so.

Lynn- 10 minutes !!!! we could be swept under by then can't you get here any faster?,I have just witnessed 3 yachts being torn to shreds and I fear the worst for the people on board them.

Coastguard- We are doing all we can Miss just try to hang in there.

Lynn- Ok thanks over and out,Leo !!! I say Leo I managed to make contact with the coastguard it looks like we are going to be saved.Leo where are you? this isn't the time to be playing hide and seek.

-

There was no sign of Leo he had simply vanished from the stricken yacht and Lynn was becoming very anxious,was her brother dead?,why had she not heard him fall overboard?.

Eventually help was at hand and the wind subsided long enough for the coastguard helpers attempt to winch her from the yacht to the safety of an awaiting helicopter.

At first she seemed reluctant to leave without knowing what had become of her brother before she eventually passed out with the shock of her ordeal.

The helicopter pilot used radio contact with the sea vessel to establish whether there was anyone in need of rescuing in the darkening bloom.

The conditions however were becoming hazardous and eventually the pilot headed back to his base on dry land with one saved soul on board.

On arriving at the docking port the pilot requested the attention of the paramedic team as they removed Lynn to an awaiting ambulance where she was taken to the local hospital in Shirley which was a suburb of Southampton.

Tom and Jan were become frantic with worry as there had been no news until eventually they were informed by a local coastguard of the tragedies which had occurred.

They then became aware that the survivors had been taken to Shirley general hospital and that every effort would be made to save the lives of those who had been brought there,alas there would always be fatalities and not everyone would pull through.