Chapter Twelve - A Long, Worrisome Wait

Liriel rubbed her belly. It had grown over the past few months, and her baby moved increasingly, keeping her from resting at night. Yet her strength grew with her baby, for she no longer spent her days draining herself of maru to heal dying soldiers.

She returned to Lorenzo's house at the appointed time, but the place was empty. Her mind spiraled through countless scenarios of what might have held Lorenzo back from their meeting, but she refused to allow herself to entertain the idea that something had happened to him, or that he had simply lost interest.

She learned many new things while attempting to make a contribution to the village. She cooked, gathered food, sewed clothing and much more. It pleased her to be busy, helping as much as she was able.

An expression of delight would come over Lorenzo in her daydreams as she imagined how she would tell him of their child. She returned again every month to see if chance might reward her with Lorenzo's presence, but he was never there.

The village was a wonderful place filled with warm and caring people, something she had never experienced. Never once had anyone pried into the details of her life, accepting instead that she would speak of it when she was ready.

Spring became summer and summer became fall. She missed Lorenzo all the time, yet her trips felt increasingly futile. As cold fell over the world and winter had almost arrived, the issue of her baby's birth became unavoidable.

One day, while Adina sat beside her repairing some socks, she turned to her with her quiet, gentle manner.

"We haven't talk about your baby or what you want for the birth. If I don't know your wishes, I won't be able help you very well... assuming you want my assistance."

Liriel sighed. She really wanted to have Lorenzo with her when the time came. Adina was a calming presence and a skilled Marulan and she would welcome her assistance. It was unlikely that anyone would be sympathetic towards her once they learned of the child's father.

"I already owe you so much Adina. It feels like too much to ask."

Adina tilted her head and smiled. "We are friends now, Nia. To welcome new life into the world is one of the most rewarding tasks of a Marulan. I hope you will allow me to support you in your journey."

Liriel knew well what she meant, having assisted in numerous births herself. She knew what needed to be done, and she believed she could manage on her own with Lorenzo's support. It was time to make a more concerted effort to find Lorenzo, and she would have to go soon, before the weather turned.

"It's getting chilly these days. Will it snow here?" Liriel had no idea what this time of year was like in this land. It was much further south than Kaldene City where she had lived before her life had changed so much.

If Liriel was going to find Lorenzo, she would have to do it soon, and she would have to be bolder, and look in more dangerous places where he might likely be. For this she needed to know more about the land and where the fighting was, and to examine maps, committing them to memory.

#

 It was so interesting to watch Ergin work. The man was a brilliant artist. Liriel could sit for hours, observing him mix and apply paint. Perhaps one day when her predicament was resolved, she would commission him to paint a family portrait of her and Lorenzo and their baby. She would have to find him first, she reminded herself.

"Would you sit for me, Nia? The shape of your face is somewhat rare, and I do so admire those cheekbones."

Liriel blushed and chewed her lip. "Won't people recognize me if you show the work back in Kalad?"

"Not to worry, my dear. These are only sketches for practice. I promise they wont leave the house."

Ergin was well traveled and knowledgeable on many subjects. Perhaps she could ply him for some information to help her find Lorenzo. "Do you have a map of Castillon? I am curious about the sea, is it far from here?"

Ergin, immersed in his painting, murmured. "It's a fair ride, perhaps two and a half hours from here to the shore."

"And to get to one of the Trillas villages near there, is it much further?" She tried to sound casual.

"Well, the main town is Madrezza, which is at the mouth of the River Eraldis to the east. That's about another three hours ride along the coast. There's not much in between. Castillon is half empty. That's why we don't feel too bad about occupying a small corner of this land."

He tossed her a folded paper. She kept her upper body still for him as she unwrapped the sheet to find a handmade map of Castillon sketched on it.

Looking up from the drawing, Liriel met eyes with Ergin. "Did you make this?"

Ergin nodded as he examined her features before returning to his work. "I had some training as a cartographer before I studied painting. It has been handy. There aren't many maps of the land, and few on them are accurate."

Looking over the crisply inked parchment, Liriel thought that he could sell these, but then realized that he couldn't. Alterra didn't trade with the Trillas in Castillon because it remained hidden and distant from the populated areas of the land. A situation that was somewhat uncomfortable for the village, but necessary.

"Do you know where the fighting is?" Liriel was formulating her plan and needed this information to keep safe.

"Yes, of course. When I go to Kalad to sell my work I always take a route to avoid the fighting, although it costs me in time."

"Better to be safe, I suppose." Liriel spread the map out on the table beside Ergin. "Can you show me? It troubles me to think we might be nearby and that soldiers might stray into our town."

Ergin shook his head. "No need to worry, dear girl. The Kaldene army knows we are here, and keeps well out of range for our safety." He pointed to an area along the border from the river in the east, across the main road and two secondary roads, but falling short of Alterra by a good piece. "The fighting is mostly just along here. The Hilliri try frequently to gain ground into Castillon, but have been pushed back successfully over and over by the Trillas. I wouldn't have thought the two sides evenly matched, but the Trillas always manage to find ways, in spite of being poorly equipped, to keep Kalad from making any real advances."

Liriel stared at the map, thinking to commit it to memory.

"I'm saddened that my people would use our presence here as an excuse for aggression. The Trillas are different from us, but really, I suspect not so much in any important ways. They don't deserve this war."

It occurred to Liriel that Ergin was sympathizing with the Trillas. For a moment, she was tempted to tell him the full story about her predicament. People often say such things but then recant when pressed. She couldn't risk being sent away from the only place that was safe for her at the moment, thought it might not remain so for much longer.

It might be dangerous to go looking for Lorenzo in the manner she intended, but not as perilous as revealing herself to her host.

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca