Chapter Fourteen, part two - Revealing Alterra

The village common was filled that night for the evening gathering. Lorenzo chose to come out early so that the people might get used to his strange look. Many had never seen a Trillas before, and there were too many stories to dispel. They approached him but kept a good distance away to observe. He smiled, nodding, as people approached. Ergin, thankfully, stood by him, demonstrating that he was harmless.

Liriel carried out her baby, showing him off to everyone. Although she had come to know them well, the citizens of Alterra were clearly both drawn and repulsed by his strangeness. Although he was her own, and she thought him the most beautiful of babies, she understood how they might find a dark-haired, blue-eyed child peculiar. In the end, though, there was nothing like a baby to break down barriers. All of the woman took turns holding him and trying out their various techniques of infant entertainment, and Liran performed beautifully, enchanting everyone with his smile.

Lorenzo wrapped an arm around her. It felt good to have him present. Liriel hoped things would turn out as they planned. Adina introduced Lorenzo to the people who stood a little closer and seemed less afraid. The others drew in a little, making the circle smaller.

"People of Alterra," Ergin began, "I know many of you are concerned about the stranger in our midst. He may look different from us, but I assure you, he will not harm you. This is an opportunity for you to see what the other people who live in Castillon are like." he paused, giving the people time to digest his words.

"You have all met Liriel here over the past months, and have worked beside her in the fields and communal projects. You know that she was with child, yet you were kind enough not to ask uncomfortable questions, because it is our way." Ergin held out an arm to Liriel who came forward, leaving Lorenzo's side.

"Friends," Liriel said, "you have been kind to me in so many ways, both large and small. I thank you for all of these gestures. I cannot imagine what might have become of me if I had not found you. You are the best of all the Hilliri people. Your trust has not been wasted on me, for now we have the opportunity to reveal the secret of Alterra, which will bring you to open trade and safety within the embrace of Castillon. My husband here may seem a strange choice to you, but he is a good man, and he will do the right thing by you." Liriel paused to look around at the reactions of the people. They looked worried, but none appeared hostile.

"My husband, Lorenzo Calimero, is heir to Castillon. The babe in my arms you have all seen will be his heir in turn. The lives of the Trillas are short, but our Liran will live longer, sharing the blood of the Hilliri as well as that of the Trillas. I ask you to consider...would it not be better to be an open society, to live without fear of discovery? I believe the two peoples can live side by side as I will with Lorenzo, with respect and even affection. Does this future not have its appeal for you?"

A few nods and calls of yeah broke the silence. Others looked thoughtful, but a few appeared outright terrified. Liriel noted these faces. Lorenzo stepped forward.

"You do not know me, and it's natural to fear the unknown. But I am a man who cares for my wife, my parents, my children, and my people, just as you do." He spoke with passion. Liriel had never seen him in front of a crowd. He would be a good leader.

"I also don't know you very well, but I believe that we have more in common than our differences."

"So then why are you killing Hilliri on the border?" Someone deep within the gathered crowd shouted.

Lorenzo frowned. Liriel worried that there wasn't a good answer to this question.

Lorenzo hung his head for a moment, and then pulled himself up straight. "It's true. I have been fighting against the forces invading my homeland from Kalad. But tell me that none of you would raise arms against someone invading your home? I would happily lay down my sword if the King of Kalad would vow to do the same."