Chapter Twenty One, part two - Relief

Once he realized that Liriel was well, Lorenzo calmed enough to helped her sit up. He stared in wonder at her. He looked at her chest, searching for the wound. There was a hole in her dress, but underneath it she was unblemished.

The king was still crouched on her other side. She turned to look at her father. It had been a while since she felt affection for him, but right now, she wanted as much to feel his arms around her as she did Lorenzo's. She felt too much love. A trivial problem, she thought, and laughed. Her two men looked at each other with puzzled expressions, then back to her. Finally she found her voice.

"I'm fine. Will you help me up?"

For a minute, her father and her husband looked dumbly at her.

"I said I'm fine."

Lorenzo still looked dazed. "I thought you were dying, love."

Liriel was surprised as well. "I healed myself."

Her father shook his head. "We're not supposed to be able to do that. The injury drains a person of maru, which is needed for healing. I am no Marulan, but I know enough about it."

If he wanted an explanation, Liriel wasn't going to give him one. No one should know about the drawing of maru from other living things. She had come upon it by accident. Much of what she did came to her through intuition. Even today she had simply done what was needed.

Right now she was glad she survived, but a part of her felt empty and craved to be filled. She had a terrible urge to find a tree and tap it to ruin. It frightened her how strong the desire was felt. She shook as if frozen. Lorenzo held her to his chest.

The king cleared his voice. "Lorenzo of Castillon, I acknowledge you are a kinsman by marriage to my daughter. What will you do if I withdraw my army back to our original borders?"

Lorenzo pulled Liriel back up to her feet and held her against him. He took a moment to gather his words. "I accept your claim to kinship. I will withdraw my people from their defensive position and take my place in Madrezza as Lord of this land. I ask no reparations for the death of my father nor my brother. I hope you can do the same. We have both seen enough bloodshed and lost too many we loved." He looked around at Ergin's people standing by, watching. "I will accept the allegiance of the people of Alterra and the other villages of Hilliri people living within Castillon's borders. If they chose to remain in here, it will be by our laws they shall abide." He glanced at Liran, still buried against his grandfather's chest. The child seemed unphased by all of the events of the day. "I would like my son back, if you please."

The king looked down at the small package he carried as if he had forgotten. He took the baby with care and handed him to Lorenzo. "He's an odd little creature. I don't know what kind of life is in store for him. He will be different and find acceptance hard to come by, I think."

Adina approached to stand by Lorenzo. "That may be, but he will be loved by many, both Hilliri and Trillas."

Liriel finally felt she had the strength to stand on her own, and pulled away from Lorenzo. She hugged her father, something she hadn't done in many years. At first he stood stiff, but eventually he allowed himself to put his arms around her in return.

He looked down into her eyes and shook his head. "You were always a wonder. Different, talented, unruly. I never understood you." He kissed her forehead. "I think I understand you better now."

Liriel's face was damp with tears. At last she had found the peace she had sought for so long. Peace for Castillon and Kalad, and peace for herself.

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca