Chapter Five

Lane had dashed back to his room at the house hoping to avoid seeing anyone.. If his mother or Angela saw him covered in dirt and blood they would both freak out. He grabbed some clean clothes out of his closet and carried them to the bathroom where he quickly took a shower and dressed. He was trying to sneak back to his room so he could get some rest when he heard someone clear their throat behind him.

"Where have you been?" Jake asked his little brother. Lane turned.

"Having fun and getting in trouble." Lane replied.

"Angela's worried about you. She's sleeping right now but she worried about you all night." Jake said. Lane sighed and walked into his room knowing Jake would follow him.

"I just haven't been feeling like myself lately." Lane said as he lay down on his bed. Jake nodded.

"You seem better now.. Did you see Joey?"

"Who said anything about Joey? Maybe I've been with twin brazillian bikini models drinking mai tais and getting laid." Jake raised an eyebrow and shook his head.

"You wish, Lane. More than likely you were getting drunk off your ass in a bar by yourself and hoping to pick up some bimbo blond with huge fake tits and tattoos." Lane grinned and closed his eyes.

"That's the life." he said. Jake growled and walked toward the door.

"You can cut the shit, Lane. I'm a lot older and smarter than you. I can smell her on you so I know where you've been. Let me offer you some advice.. Don't treat this like it's some damn game or conquest... You only get one mate in your life and like me you got a mortal one.. She won't live forever while you run around continuing to sow your wild oats and act like a fool and once she's gone she'll be gone forever."

"Look who's turning into a regular Dr. Phil." Lane said without opening his eyes. If he opened his eyes then Jake would see the emotion in them and know that he had struck a nerve. Jake didn't reply just walked out and shut the door behind him.

888

Joey had never worried about what she looked like. She had never had a reason to. But right about now she was wishing that she owned some nice clothes, make up, or even a mirror. She had been sitting nervously in her usual white t-shirt, black stretch pants and combat boots for the last hour waiting on Lane.

The sun was almost set now and she felt her heart breaking when she realized that he wasn't coming. She should have known better. He had been playing with her. He might not be a killer but that did not mean that she should have assumed he had a heart.. He was an immortal after all. She dried the tears that she had allowed to fall and tied her knife to her leg. It was time to go to work.

She was still on the outskirts of town when she saw the group of sub demons walking through the shadows. She counted them quickly and cursed. There were ten of them... She had never taken on that many at once. She thought about letting them go but then remembered about the peewee football game that was just ending further in town. She couldn't take a chance on these subs coming across any of the families on their way home. She took off after the subs and didn't realize her mistake until it was too late...

She had followed the first ten into a dead end alley and instead of being surprised they had turned and smiled at her.

"Now we've got you, you pain in the ass little slayer." one of the subs said with a laugh. Joey sensed movement behind her and glanced back to see five more subs entering the alley blocking her only exit. She was shaking all over from both fear and adrenaline. She knew she was no match for fifteen sub demons but she would be damned if she would go down without a fight.