Chapter Ten

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

Damien thought about staying in the library until Kaylee returned but he knew he needed to at least make an attempt to get to know Kaylee's family. He wished there was a way around it since he really had no interest in getting to know any of them but he knew there was not. It wasn't that he didn't like people, he had just always been a loner and other than Kaylee he had never craved anyone's company.

He finally left the room and walked through the quiet house. He could hear babies fussing upstairs and he could hear Angela singing a song to try to calm them. He walked through the living room and Bethany and Kaitlyn looked up at him from the fashion magazines they were flipping through.

"Hello demon." Bethany said with a smile and a small wave.

"Hello." Damien replied. Bethany rolled her eyes and crossed one of her long tan legs over the other.

"Do I call you demon or do you have a name? I can't remember."

"Damien."

"I thought demons were all rotted." Kaitlyn said, raising her brow and looking like the spitting image of her mother as she looked Damien up and down.

"Those are sub demons." Damien replied and Kaitlyn looked like she was ready to faint as his eyes met hers and he spoke.

(What's the matter with you?) Bethany asked her daughter.

(He is the hottest man I have ever seen.) Kaitlyn replied (I wonder if he has a younger brother.)

"Do you have a younger brother?" Bethany asked Damien out loud and Kaitlyn buried her bright red face behind her magazine.

"Moooom!" she exclaimed. Damien raised a brow and wondered why she seemed upset and why Bethany was smiling guiltily. Emotions.... Would he ever fully understand them?

"Yes actually I do. His name is Rotan." Bethany elbowed Kaitlyn who was still hiding her face behind the magazine.

"See honey, he has a brother." Bethany said. "Does your brother look like you?"

"No."

"You don't talk much do you?" Bethany asked.

"No."

"Well go on about your day then... Don't let us stop you." Bethany said as she dismissed him with a graceful wave of her hand. Damien shrugged and walked quickly out of the room.

"He's definitely not a people person." Bethany said as she grabbed the magazine from Kaitlyn and went back to looking through the pages.

"But he looks good when he walks out of the room." Kaitlyn replied looking over the back of the couch. Bethany rolled her eyes and slapped her daughter on the knee.

"Your father's heart would stop beating if he heard you talk like that."

"He'll be fine." Kaitlyn replied flipping her blond hair over her shoulder. "Do you think aunt Raquel would have given up her Hunter crush for a Damien crush?"

"I doubt it." Bethany said with a touch of sadness in her voice. "She lost her heart to Hunter the first time he called her ma'am."

Damien walked into the kitchen and shook his head at their conversation. He was not sure what a crush was... It sounded painful... But he assumed it had something to do with feeling affectionate toward another person.