Chapter Eleven

It was dark outside and Kaylee was tired when she finally made it back to the house. She was covered in blood from her fight with the murdering vampire and Kayleb's arm still wasn't fully healed from the vampires bite and it was hanging loose, shredded and black from the venom.

"Kayleb!" Vanessa exclaimed as she jumped from the kitchen table and ran to him when he walked in. Kaylee couldn't help but smile because though Kayleb was trying to act tough, she could tell how much her brother liked Vanessa's attention.

"Where is grandma?" Kaylee asked as she realized that Rebecca, who seemed to live in the kitchen, was not here. Jordan looked up from her dinner and sighed.

"Apparently we missed quite the showdown between dad and Jake today and it ended with dad and mom leaving."

"What the hell happened?" Kayleb demanded. Kent stole a fry off of Jordan's plate, earning his hand a slap and then he shrugged.

"I was at work but Greg said that Jake and Charles were fighting over Damien being here. Jake said he could stay and Charles said if Damien stayed then he was leaving. Jake told him goodbye and Charles lost it. He started toward Jake, Angela jumped in between them trying to calm the situation down and Charles's dumbass pushed her down."

"Oh shit." Kayleb and Kaylee both said at once. Kent nodded.

"Jake just about killed him but Angela stopped him of course. Charles' owes his life to her now. Charles took off and Rebecca went with him."

"Where's Damien?" Kaylee asked even as she tested the air and caught his smoky scent.

"Upstairs. I think he feels guilty over what happened." Vanessa replied as she looked at Kayleb's arm. "I'm gonna get Angela down here to fix this." she said.

"No, leave Angela alone." Kayleb replied. "I'll be fine."

"What happened to you anyway?" Vanessa asked as she led Kayleb to a chair and made him sit down. Kaylee didn't stick around to hear Kayleb tell her the story. She followed Damien's scent upstairs to her bedroom.

"What happened to you?" he demanded when she walked in and he jumped from the bed and began looking over her blood covered body checking for injuries.

"I'm okay, Damien." Kaylee promised. "Kayleb jumped in and took the worst of the punishment."

"I do not want you putting yourself in danger like that." Damien scolded. "I do not like having to worry about you."

"Then get a job with me and you can come and protect me from the bad guys." Kaylee teased sarcastically.

"Why? Why put yourself in such danger for people you do not know. You did not know the mortals that vampire was killing." Damien said as he ran his hands over a small bite on her arm and felt his temper rise. Anger was another emotion that only Kaylee in danger seemed to be able to bring out in him.

"Because it's the right thing to do. I would die to protect innocent people. The same way that you let your father and brother torture and banish you in order to protect innocent people that didn't deserve to die." Damien looked in her eyes for several long seconds and then sighed with defeat.

"So you will not quit your job?" he asked and Kaylee shook her head.

"No I will not." she replied. He nodded.

"Then I will have to get a job there too. I don't want you chasing after vampires when I am not there to protect you." Kaylee's eyes widened.

"Are you serious? You are going to get a job with the agency just so you can keep an eye on me?" Damien shrugged.