Chapter Fifteen

"What can I do for you, Victor?" Frances asked as he sat down in the high backed chair across from the demon and tapped his long, pale fingers on the chair arm.

"I need my oldest son found." Victor replied as he signaled for a sub demon and the demon handed Frances a golden goblet full of blood. "It's not human." Victor said in response to Frances's questioning look. Frances nodded but did not take a drink.

"I fail to see how your wayward son is any of my business." Frances said as he crossed his long legs. Victor smiled coldly.

"I think you are forgetting what I have locked up in my dungeon. You either do what I ask or I will make my newest guest Rotan's business." Frances hissed and downed a quick sip of the blood.

"What do you want me to do."

"Find him."

"How am I supposed to do that, Victor? I am not a bloodhound or a private eye."

"Your sister and brother were good friends of mine, Frances. As was your father. It is a shame that you are not more like them."

"Yes such a shame." Frances replied coldly.

"I happen to know that he still visits his mother quite regularly. I want a watch set up at her home. I want you there...."

"Perhaps you have forgotten the fact that I am a vampire and cannot just wander where I want to throughout the day."

"Angelica lives in a cabin in the middle of a thick pine forest. Surely you can stay out of the sunlight while you watch."

"I should kill you, Victor." Francis hissed and Victor nodded.

"Yes you should. But you will not because you know what my youngest, somewhat sadistic son would do if you did." Frances's jaw was tense and his fists clenched as he stood up.

"Get someone to take me to the cabin and I will find Damien."

888

Days passed quickly and Damien was becoming more accustomed to living with so many people and he was understanding his own emotions more everyday, though he still found himself missing the solidarity and peace that he found at his beach home. He wanted to spend some time there with Kaylee, just the two of them but he didn't know how to ask her to leave her family. He was afraid it would hurt her if he asked her and he figured he had hurt her enough the first twenty years of their relationship.

Damien was sitting on the couch with Kaylee one afternoon as she argued on her cell phone with the manager of a store about surveillance videos he was supposed to hand over, when Faith walked up to him with a book in her hands.

"Will you read this to me?" she asked. Damien looked over at Kaylee but she was too distracted by her conversation to help him and he looked back at Faith. He was still surprised by the pull he felt toward her. He nodded and then sat in shock as she climbed up into his lap and handed him the book with a picture of a princess and a frog on the cover.

"I was going to ask Kayleb to read to me but he reads boring. Maybe you'll be a better reader." Damien raised a brow. How could someone be a boring reader? Damien decided he'd do his best attempt to entertain the girl. After all he had seen a few original Shakespeare plays in his life.

Damien began reading the book, using different voices for the different characters and matching their emotions perfectly with his voice. By the time he was done Faith was laughing happily and Kaylee had hung up her phone and was staring at him with shock.

"Thank you." Faith said as she slid from his lap and ran back up the stairs toward her room.

"Where did that come from?" Kaylee asked.