Chapter Six

"What the hell does the government want with a guy like Alex Summers?" Guards followed closely behind me with guns as I walked with an agent down a cellblock. "I hope you aren't putting him with others. First guy I've ever met who prefers being locked away."

"I haven't fully decided what I want to do with Mr. Summers, but I assure you it'll be for good use." I replied as the cell door unlocked and opened to reveal a young boy, about the age of Hank McCoy, sitting alone. The agent motioned for me to walk in, but before I could pass through the doorway he stopped me.

"Be careful," he said taking a glance at the kid. "And are you sure you don't want a guard in there with you?" Nodding my head, I grabbed the door and closed it behind me as I stepped inside the cell with Alex.

He eyed me with suspicion as he stood up and took a step towards me as I secured the door and made sure it locked securely behind me. Turning around, I gave him a smile as I looked him up in down with a sparkle in my eye.

"Alex Summers, I'm Cassandra Avok and I'm here to offer you a job at no cost." I said taking a seat on a bench facing the door and the boy, folding my leg over the other, and smoothing out my pencil skirt.

"You don't know what I am, what I'm capable of." Alex looked towards the floor and leaned against the side of the cell, crossing his arms over his chest in defeat as his own words broke him down even more.

"But I do," Standing up, I walked over and stood in front of him. "I know that you have unbelievable powers that, at one point, you will be able to control, with my help. You may think of yourself as dangerous and a hazard to others, but I see... potential in you, Alex."

He was silent for a moment as he uncrossed his arms and stood up from his position on the wall. Removing my hands from the leather gloves I wore, I flexed my fingers out of their compression.

"You can?" Alex questioned, finally looking back up at me with concern and worry etched across his face. Smiling to him softly, I raised my hands up to my chest, with palms out.

"Do you mind?" I asked placing my fingers to my temples to signal that I want to take a peek into his memories. He nodded and allowed me to slip my palms onto the side of his head and rest them onto his sweaty skin.

Closing my eyes, I let the light fade around me, then I felt myself being placed inside one of his memories, one that is precious and close to him. It was late at night and a candle was lit on a cupcake set in front of a young boy, Alex Summers.

A women, his mother, walked into the room with a present behind her back as the boy opened his eyes and blew out the candle, casting the room in darkness. Lights came on and the dessert was removed from in front of the kid and the present replaced its empty spot.

"It's what you've been asking for, Alex." The lady said as the boy ripped at the wrapping, revealing a cassette. I felt the temperature change and I came to the lowest part of Alex's life.

Boys that seemed like twelve year olds were beating on the blonde haired boy as others stood around encouraging them to continue as teachers and facility acted like it wasn't actually happening.

That was just his past, now it's time to face his future. It may not have any good times or bad times, but I have still not been able to control my powers to not twist it, but I try my best to show Alex the better parts of his future.

I see him on a beach standing in a row with others fighting against an enemy, and him using his powers for good use. The next image that flashes around is him signing off to go to war over in Vietnam. Another is of Alex whispering into my ear as I see pain cross his face and tears well up at the edge of his eyes.

Then, I lose control of everything and my powers soon take over. I see Alex getting shot, mugged, beaten, and him using his powers on a human, someone that's not a mutant, that's not one of us. I see one horrible image of his mother laying in a pool of her own blood with someone standing over them.

Opening my eyes, I remove my hands quickly from his temples and pull my gloves back on. Alex is shocked, scared, and slightly surprised at what I had just showed him, though it seems I have gotten through to him.

"You've seen what I'm able to do," I stopped and walked over to the door and knocked on it for the guards to let me out. "Now it's your turn." Holding out my hand, I waited for Alex to take it and follow me into the future.

••••••••••**********

Walking through the court yard, I followed the sounds of laughter and other noises. I reached the area where the recruits were placed and saw glass sprayed everywhere on the floor and the top of a statues head burning.

"Alex! Alex! Alex!" I heard the kids yelling as I stood back and watched as the blonde made his way out into the yard and told the others to stay back on his command.

He shook his arms out as I watched from the sidelines in the shadows waiting for what I've been hoping to see him do, to show me his powers. The kids leaned out to see Alex strut his stuff and show off to everyone.

I could already see that this wasn't going to end well so I moved closer in case I needed to take action and protect some of the others. Alex started to move his body in a circular motion and soon red rings formed around him, becoming larger and darker.

Then they shot off of him, flying in all different directions, bouncing off of walls, hitting the statue, and one heading straight for me. I didn't have time to dodge it, so I stuck my hands out and grabbed it, though I didn't really touch it.

Everyone looked over at me in amazement as I stopped it, slowing down its travel through its lifespan and ending it by closing my hands suddenly. I stared sternly at Alex and shook my head at everyone else as I walked across the yard.

"You all know better," I said as Raven and Hank glanced at me with a look that said 'please don't tell Charles.' "And Alex, focus more on how you're doing it and, also, work on your aim."

<~><~><~><~><~><~>

Kind of a filler chapter.

I have been very busy lately and will be for a while now. School starts up soon and I will have volleyball everyday after school, but I will try and update whenever I can fit it in.

Love,
micro