Chapter Eleven

In the morning, I felt pain behind my eyes and I rubbed them to rid them of the sleep that consumes me. My head still pounds from my exercise that I had with Charles yesterday, but the throbbing in my back and arms left late into the night, keeping me up with the image that is burned into the back of my eyelids.

Later in the day, we will be leaving. Shaw is on his last step and we are following close behind him, I can see him now. Trapped behind bars along with is little pet, Emma, and his followers that believed every word he spoke; humans gone and mutants the ultimate rulers.

"Cassandra," my name was spoken softly as a rap came at my open door. Erik stands in the doorway, watching every move I make getting out of bed and dressed. "How are you feeling?" He asks with as little concern showing in his voice.

Pulling on a white shirt, I turn around to give Erik a smile instead of words, hoping he'll catch what I'm telling him. I walk over to the door and stand in front of him with my arms crossed and a stern look on my face. He reaches for my cheek, but I grab his wrist before he touches my skin.

"It's going to be dangerous out there, Cass. I want you to be as safe as possible," Erik says as I lean my face onto his hand and move my own up his arm to his shoulder. "Take caution on our battlefield. Know who we're fighting." He rubs his thumb along my cheekbone, trails it down my jawline and removes his hand, placing it to his side.

"You as well." I say leaning in to wrap my arms around his broad shoulders and plant a light kiss on his cheek.

**••**••

"What the hell happened here?" Erik questions as I walk into the lan and over to a puddle of green liquid with Charles. He looks at the same green substance on the floor that is now on my fingertip and burning the skin slightly.

I wipe the liquid off of my finger and stand up straight. Everyone walks in with worry on there faces, but Raven looks even more stricken by what happened to Hank and his lab. Alex comes over to me and whispers a question of if I knew what went on into my ear. I shrug my shoulders in response and huffed out a breath of air.

I saw Charles open up a large container and everyone went over to look inside at what Hank had done. Yellow and black suits lay folded on the bottom and I reached down to pick one up and look at it.

"Do we really have to wear these?" Alex asks as he glances at the suit that had holster for guns and knives on the front and back of the light weight fabric. Around one of the waistband loops was fingerless gloves that replicated the ones that I wear everyday.

"There's none of us that mutated to endure extreme G-forces or being riddled by bullets, so I suggest we suit up."

<~><~><~><~><~><~>

Really just a filler, but a couple more chapters and we are done and on to the next book!

Love,

Free!!!