1. THE PAST pt. i

CHAPTER ONE:

APRIL 1942

     JAQ LAUGHED LOUDLY AT STEVE'S FLUSHED FACE. "Steve, darling, you know that a double date ensues a snog?" The dark haired girl held onto her coffee mug tightly, sighing in content as the warm liquid heated her up. It was a normal day for Jacqueline and Steve, both enjoying their coffees after a long day in Brooklyn, New York. 

Steve sighed, running a hand through his short blond hair. His small frame sat in the chair across from Jaq and he slumped in his seat, abashed. "I-I knew that, but I don't think that the girls would like me that much to do so." 

Jaq sighed at Steve's resigned expression and stood up before kissing his cheek. Her lips touched softly against his cheek and she felt bad for her best friend who couldn't even grow facial hair. "I must go, tell your friend Bucky that he's a bad influence on you. It's okay not to go on a double date!" It was hard for the young woman to be supportive of friend, she never had been good with words, that was her downfall. She couldn't say what she really wanted to say. 

The dark haired woman smiled at Steve and saw his hesitation to speak up about something but Jaq ignored it, knowing Steve would tell her eventually. She kissed his cheek again and fled the cafe they had usually gotten drinks at.

Jaq had never met Steve's friend Bucky. She was puzzled at how Steve always would avoid the topic of Bucky around her and would never invite him to have drinks with them. She ignored that little annoying voice in her head that told her that maybe, she wasn't good enough of a friend for Steve. 

The young woman walked down the street quickly, avoiding the major crowds around her, bustling around on the busy roads of New York. Soon, she entered a small beaten down boxing gym, using a key to push through the front door. She sighed as she saw the gym empty, knowing her father had closed early to go home to be with her family. Jaq dropped her small purse onto the ground of the gym and walked up the creaky stairs that led up to the small apartment above the gym.

The apartment was hers. After her father and mother had a family, they moved to a house outside of the busy town into a quiet neighbourhood. When Jaq was old enough, she took the apartment up for herself.

Jaq was born in 1918, and currently 24 years old living alone in New York City. She had only three friends: Steve Rogers, Peggy Carter and Angie Martinelli. Jaq had met Peggy and Angie five years prior, when she started to work with the SSR and soon became one of the top women who was an active agent within the United States. She always felt for Peggy and her struggle with the men in the SSR as a ranking officer. However, for Jaq, it was simply flashing smiles and stealing vital information for the SSR. It was a job that she was content with. 

It was dangerous and she liked the thrill. 

Jaq was fine with her life and how she had a double life with Peggy on one side and Angie, a waitress, and Steve on the other. That life was steady and normal. Angie knew what to expect everyday and she liked it but Jaq would always seek adventure. She knew, however, to keep her two lives separate. It always saddened Jaq that Steve would never meet a women like Peggy, she would have been perfect for him.

º    º    º

↳ ONE WEEK LATER

     JAQ TOOK OFF FROM HER APARTMENT AFTER a speedy boxing practice and cold shower one afternoon. She patted down her blue blazer that hung over her white dress. She patiently waited for a cab, perfectly content on being late, Steve knew after all these years Jaq would always be late.

After catching a cab and arriving at the restaurant Steve had picked, Jaq smiled when she spotted him in the middle of the crowded room. However, she faltered as she noticed an attractive young man sitting beside Steve. The man beside him was handsome and he obviously knew it. With a signature side smirk and crystal blue eyes, Jaq wasn't surprised to see him adorned in an army uniform as well. He was the perfect man and she found herself biting her lip nervously as she walked forward. 

Jaq took her time to arrive at the men's table. When she did, both stood up, genuinely smiling at her. Both were in nice attire and Jaq immediately knew why she was there: it was a farewell dinner. She could guess Steve's friend had gotten the chance to fight in the war.

Jaq smiled as Steve, who quickly introduced her to his friend. "This is James Barnes, my guy best friend. And this is my girl best friend, Jaq."

A blush flooded Jaq's features as Bucky took her extended hand and kissed it. "You can call me Bucky," he told her with a voice like velvet.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Bucky." Jaq's breath faltered as his head looked up from her hand to send her a charming smile. He was breathtaking. 

"I must say, the pleasure is all mine, Jacqueline."

º    º     º