10. REPEATED CONVERSATION

CHAPTER TEN:

REPEATED CONVERSATION

      THE METALLIC ROOM WAS BLEAK, the frigid air making Jaq shiver from the cold– and fear. The fear that settled in the pit of her stomach wasn't new, but she could taste the bile in her throat. 

Jaqueline knew that he wouldn't look at her, his eyes cemented to the floor– there was no expression on his pale, scruffy face. His eyes were dead, no sign of recognition or emotion.

The young assassin sat down beside the Winter Soldier, keeping her hand steady near the gun fastened to the black belt she wore. Jaqueline knew Bucky was unstable and would hurt her if there were any sudden movements.

It was known that the Winter Soldier wouldn't talk to the young woman.  She knew she had to talk first or they would sit in silence. 

This was their routine.

"Good morning, soldier." Jaqueline began softly, her hands anxiously twirling a necklace — the one Bucky had given to her before he left for war. "Personal update on your wellbeing, please."

"I am okay, сударыня. " the man told her gruffly, he still did not look up from the spot on the ground. His eyes were fixated on a black spot, as if it was more interesting than her. 

"Do you remember anything, солдат?" Jaq pursued the conversation, he had to know something. 

"I remember waking up, that's all, сударыня."

"Thank you for your time, soldier." Jaq whispered as she passed by him, the nickname made her heart beat a little faster.

Jaq gasped, her left hand grasping the gun in an instant as cool metal pressed to her warm skin. The stark difference of temperatures made her shudder. He looked up at Jaqueline in curiosity, his metal fingers lightly grasping her other tanned wrist.

"I mean no harm," he told Jaqueline and she relaxed, taking the hand off her gun. "What does your necklace mean? You hold on to it desperately."

"It was a gift from a man named Bucky. We loved each other until one day I lost him." Jaqueline smiled weakly at him, her heart aching because he would never know that she loved him. That she loved Bucky Barnes.

The Winter Soldier.

"I am sorry, сударыня." Bucky looked thoughtful, staring up at the woman who was staring at him, mouth slightly agape. Jaq wanted to scream out her frustrations but  knew that it would be to no avail. Alexander Pierce would wipe his memory again.