Chapter Twenty-Five - Jingle Bells, Wedding Bells - Part Two

The wedding party was in full swing; the live band was playing a lovely ballad from the raised podium and a few couples were dancing on the makeshift dance floor in front. I was having the time of my life. Us younger guests, though not the small kids, had been allowed a drink or three of champagne and I was definitely feeling the bubbles. My body felt lighter, but it wasn't the same feeling as when I had gotten wasted on beer at Stacy's party. This felt better. I felt better and I had a certain someone to thank for that. 

After the ceremony had concluded, I walked down to the table where Caleb, Carrie, Taylor and sadly, Stacy were seated, three of them smiling at me and congratulating me on a maid of honor job well done. The last one was purposely ignoring me. I was grinning as I took my assigned seat in between Caleb and Carrie, feeling Caleb's leg brush against mine as I scooted closer to the table; even just a slight touch like that had me shivering in delight. He really was looking incredibly handsome and it made my heart race knowing that he was only here because of me. If that wasn't a sign of affection I didn't know what was. His hair was styled with a bit of gel, making it stick out here and there, but not in a messy kind of way. 

"Well, aren't you a pretty picture," Stacy said, smiling an über fake smile as she stared at me from across the table. Boy, if looks could kill, then I'd be dead as a doornail. She had managed to stuff her body into a skin tight red dress with a cleavage not for the faint hearted. Did she not know that it was custom not to wear red to another person's wedding? Her makeup was bold too; smokey eyes and red lipstick. I felt like coughing the word slut, but decided against it as Jace approached us.

"Baby!" Stacy exclaimed, suddenly all sugar sweet. "You looked so hot up there I just wanted to rip off that tux and have my way with you." I nearly choked on my champagne. Even Jace looked a little uncomfortable, but shook it off with a little smile as he sat down.

"I did look great up there, huh." He cleared his throat and suddenly got busy pouring himself a glass of water. We all suddenly got busy.

I felt conscious all of the sudden, realising that I couldn't really talk with Caleb without all the others listening in on us.

"You looked beautiful up there," Caleb said softly, making me blush instantly.

"Thank you. You look great yourself." 

Silence. 

What was wrong with me? Why could I all of the sudden not find any words to say to Caleb? I looked to Carrie for help, but she appeared to be in deep conversation with Taylor and I was not about to interrupt that. 

"Baby, let's go dancing!" 

I watched as Stacy practically pulled Jace from his seat and dragged him out onto the dance floor, his arm outstretched like he was walking Zeus down the road. That dog loved to pull on his leash. I almost felt bad for him. Almost.

The band was playing 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams and were doing a pretty good job at it. It certainly had people heading for the floor.

"Do you uhm, do you think that you'd want to, uhm, you know..." Caleb was trying his best, but man did he need some practice in asking-a-girl-to-dance department. 

"If I want to dance?" He looked suddenly relieved and his face transformed into a grinning one. 

"Yes," he exhaled, reaching his hand out to mine. "I promise I won't step on your toes." I grabbed his hand and felt the butterflies stirring in my stomach as his fingers entwined with mine. I was starting to really like those metaphorical critters inside of me. 

We moved towards a corner of the dance floor, quickly finding a spot and started dancing like two silly people. The song was upbeat and I couldn't keep the grin off of my face as Caleb spun me around like a pro. He was not a bad dancer actually. He didn't step on my toes.