Chapter Eighteen - Trick or Treat - Part Two

Despite my betraying body language, I didn't feel right standing so close to Jace; our foreheads touching and his hands resting almost too comfortably on my back. Everything screamed wrong in my head.

"Jace." I started again and this time he shut his eyes, looking more pained than before. He knew just as well as me that whatever was going on right now, it wasn't right. I pulled away and out of his grip. As I got some distance I realized how many people were actually staring at us. Despite his costume, Jace was easily recognizable. From the corner of my eye I could see people whispering to each other, all the whilst not taking their eyes off of us, not wanting to miss a second of this juicy situation. No. I squeezed my eyes shut and took a breath. This wasn't happening. Not here, and certainly not with Jace Jones. 

I took one more glance at Jace; he was staring at me, looking completely out of place and surrounded by clowns, cowboys and what looked like a cherry cupcake. His eyes spoke what his mouth couldn't - regret. I turned and pushed through the crowd that had gathered. On my way through I heard someone mutter who I was. Great, so they don't know it's me. Let's keep it that way. I escaped the circle and made a beeline for the bathroom. Pushing past the low-hanging jack-o-lanterns and paper skeletons in front of the bathrooms I rushed inside and found at least seven girls waiting in line for the toilets. Perfect. I turned and suddenly felt claustrophobic. A weighing sensation pushed on my chest making me short of breath. People were everywhere and I needed fresh air, asap. 

The entrance doors were on the opposite side of the gym, with hundreds of bodies between me and escape. I started pushing past them, trying to find the easiest route through, avoiding the main dance floor as much as possible. Halfway through the room I spotted, which I regretted immediately, Stacy Keegan dressed as some sort of scantily clad animal, in the arms of a broad-shouldered pirate. They seemed to be performing some sort of mating ritual and I hurried past them. 

I felt the first breeze of cool fresh air and inhaled deeply. I was standing right outside the opened doors, a few other people in costumes were scattered around the entrance, huddled in groups and chatting animatedly

"Chloe!" The sound of her voice made me wince and I turned my head to see Carrie hurrying towards me. So much for escaping. 

"Chloe. What the hell is going on?" 

"What do you mean?" I asked. Carrie was looking very close to rolling her eyes at me, which wasn't a good sign.

"I just saw Jace storming out and then I couldn't find you." Jace left? I instantly scanned the outside area, but I couldn't see him anywhere. Had he gone home? But how would I get home? 

"Honey, what happened? You two seemed perfectly fine just minutes ago." 

I knew I couldn't keep this from her, it was too big and I knew it would feel good to talk to someone about it, get it out there and figure out what to do next. I grabbed my friend's arm and pulled her closer, because I did not want anyone to accidentally overhear what I was about to say.

"This is confidential information, Carrie, so you know what that means." Carrie nodded and so I pulled her away from the doors and towards an empty area close to the corner of the gym. 

"I think Jace was close to kissing me before, when we were dancing." Carrie's eyes bulged and her bottom jaw dropped, leaving her mouth hanging open. 

"What? Are you for real? Jace Jones, your future step-brother wanted to kiss you?"

"Thanks, Captain Obvious, that's just what I said."  

"But, did you want him to? What about Caleb? You two are constantly together in school." Her flow of questions had me pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to keep in control.

"Carrie, I don't know, okay? I don't know what I want, it's all just so confusing." I could feel tears slowly approach and I willed myself to take deep breaths and blink several times. I didn't want to cry and ruin my makeup and make an idiot of myself. 

"I know I like Caleb, but this is the second time he has bailed on me. I don't know where I stand with him. Should I keep giving him chances?" I leaned my back against the cold brick wall, welcoming the cooling sensation spreading across my back. Carrie was looking at me with sympathy written all over her face. 

"I know Caleb is behaving like a class A prick, but I can see how much you like him, and I know that he likes you too." 

"But Jace is always right there and it's messing with my head. We've had some great times together, and outside of school he's a really great guy. He's actually really funny and we both have similar taste in music and film." I sighed, feeling relieved to be talking about all my problems with my best friend. 

Carrie reached out and rubbed my arms with her hands, a soft smile on her hands. 

"You sure have gotten yourself in a bit of a pickle, miss Martin," Carrie said and I let a small smile show. This was why she was the most amazing friend one could ever ask for. She made sure that however crappy the situation, she could always make me smile about it. 

"Yeah, it's a real love triangle I have on my hands," I goofed. 

"God, it's almost like Twilight," Carrie gushed and I grimaced. She just had to ruin the moment. 

"So, who's Edward?" I questioned. Carrie grinned.

"Caleb, of course. He's the mysterious man-candy and Jace is Jacob, who is more like a brother and whom you could never actually date, but that you still love." Huh. It sort of made sense, I guess, from a twisted teen fiction perspective. 

"You have a twisted head," I joked and pulled Carrie in for a hug. 

"One of us has to be the smart one," she retorted and hugged me back. We stood there for a bit, not really wanting to move, but knew we had to. 

"Want to go back inside for a, Jace!" Carrie was looking past my shoulder and when I turned around I saw him suddenly standing there, right by the corner of the building, in perfect ear shot. 

Crap crap upon extra crap! 

Please don't say that he had overheard everything I had just told Carrie? My life would officially end if he knew that I might have actual feelings for him. 

"Hi, Jace," I said hesitantly. The next few seconds would determine how much emotional trouble I was in. Jace just stood there, not saying anything for a moment, his eyes drifting from me to a spot behind me. 

"Hi girls," he said casually. I let out a huge breath I hadn't been aware I was holding in. I looked to Carrie for confirmation that we hadn't been overheard, and she looked just as relieved as me. Dodged a bullet there, didn't we. 

"Chloe, let me know when you want to head back home, it's almost eleven," Jace said, walking towards us. He smiled calmly at me and I reciprocated it. 

"Yeah, won't be long, I guess," I replied and with a nod in our direction, Jace waltzed back inside of the gym. 

Both Carrie and I didn't say anything, we just stood there, not quite sure how to proceed. 

"Alright," Carrie said, breaking the silence. "I'm going to go back inside and grab myself a dance with Taylor before it's too late." 

"I thought you came here with Jonathan?" I asked, but Carrie brushed it off.

"Jonathan is sweet and all, but he sure can't kiss like Taylor. Besides, I think Taylor secretly likes me." She was smiling like the Cheshire Cat who had just gotten its paws on a bowl of cream.

"Go get him." I encouraged and with that, Carrie whisked herself back into the writhering masses of people dancing to Taylor Swift. 

"Might as well get the best out of tonight," I muttered to myself and followed my friend inside. I immediately spotted Jace standing with Keith. Sucking in a breath, I plucked up the courage to walk over to them. 

Positioning myself right behind Jace, I leaned in as close as I could without touching him.

"A dance for old times sake?" I asked into his ear. I watched his body tense for the briefest of moments before turning towards me with a smile. 

"Anything for you, Martin."