Chapter Twenty-Two - Gobble Gobble, I'm in Trouble - Part One

It was Wednesday, the beginning of Thanksgiving holidays and I was splayed out on the couch, watching a re-run of my second favourite show, The Flash, an Arrow spin-off. I heard the shuffling of feet and then Jace dumped his annoying ass down next to my toes.

"What are we watching?"

"I'm watching The Flash."

"Men in underwear? Really, Chloe?"

"That's Superman, you goon."

"You're such a geek."

"I know and I'm proud of it," I said, trying to ignore Jace's presence by focusing on the über cute Barry Allen. Why couldn't hot science guys like that go to my school? Why were the hot guys always doomed to be jocks and assholes? Except Caleb, of course, he was the exception to the stereotypic rule. He was pretty much the exception to every rule in the high school male species handbook. He was cute, sweet and into science. If you left out the fact that he had spent most of this semester bailing on me whenever we had made plans and was incredibly unwilling to share his life, then he was perfect. Minor kinks of course.

"I think football's on," Jace muttered after about five minutes. He reached for the remote on the coffee table, but I was quick and grabbed it before he could. Clutching it close to my chest.

"Hey!" He complained.

"Hey yourself, I was here first."

"You got to learn how to share, Chloe," Jace said, practically climbing on top of me as he was grasping for the remote that I was holding out behind me. "Besides, I lived here first."

"I'm currently and unwillingly sharing this couch, isn't that enough?" I groaned loudly as he elbowed me in my lower abdomen. "Go and watch football on your own TV!"

"Don't tell me what to do."

"God, you're such a pain."

"Only girls with crushes on me call me God."

"Yeah well, I guess I didn't get the memo."

Jace stopped struggling to get the remote.

"So now that you know, will you still call me that?" He was lying sprawled out on top of me, which neither of us had really noticed until now. His arms rested on either side of my face, supporting his weight. I felt one of his legs between mine, resting against my thighs. Both of us were breathing hard.

It was really difficult to focus when Jace Jones' face was less than a foot away, as I had experienced before. His blue eyes lured me in, like a siren's song to a lost seaman. All my senses were on red alert, my heart pounding like a maniac, even more so when I felt something hard pressing against my thigh. Suddenly Caleb's face appeared at the forefront of my mind and I shoved Jace hard to get him to move.

"Get off me you tool," I said, untangling myself from his arms and legs and whatever else was in my way. I stood up, panting.

"You need a better insult vocab, you know," Jace said, looking all too comfortable stretched out on the couch.

"Screw you. How's that?"

"Better."

I avoided any further confrontation and left the cocky boy to watch his sports. As I left the living room he called out: "You know, you didn't answer my question."

"You're an ass, Jace," I yelled back.

"It's an improvement, but I know you can do better!"

I escaped outside.