Chapter Two - Are You Ready For Torture?

The last two classes passed in a blur and no sooner had I sat down after lunch before getting back up, grabbing my backpack and got the hell out of there.

 Carrie already had a meeting with the debate club so I made my way towards the bicycles by myself.

 It was a warm and gorgeous sunny day and I took my sweet time going home, enjoying the whistling of birds and the smell of freshly-cut summer grass.

Turning into our small gravel driveway I parked my bike up against the tool-shed. I fished out my set of house keys and unlocked the front door.

Loud barking commenced as Zeus came to greet me in the most enthusiastically way possible; he always acted as if we hadn't seen each other in days, despite it only being hours. His small fluffy tail wagged as he waited for me to put down my school things and grab his leash.

I always took him for a long walk after coming home from school, no matter the weather. We'd stroll around the neighbourhood and talk about our day - or rather I'd talk and Zeus would be trying to catch birds larger than his own body.

I made sure to lock the front door again and gripped the leash tightly as the tiny dog tucked and pulled to get to the patch of grass. He was always so eager to get going and then with any luck, I'd run him tired by the time we'd get back home and he'd have to drag his cute little tush over the threshold.

After crossing the street Zeus immediately dragged me over to an oak tree, sniffing the trunk for interesting and foreign scents.

The sun was shining brightly and the afternoon was nice and warm, no jacket needed which was what I liked the best about summer; no need for that much clothing.

Zeus lifted his tiny leg, almost invisible underneath his furry coat, and left his mark.

"Chloe!" A voice calling out made my dog stop in mid-pee to bark a greeting. I looked across the street and inwardly groaned as Mrs Rosenbaum waved enthusiastically at me. Oh boy, here we go.

I smiled back politely and knew that if I didn't walk over there, she'd continue to call out after me. Zeus more than happily followed me over, though once he got closer to her small white picket fence he stayed close to me. More than once he'd been caught digging in Mrs Rosenbaum's rosebushes and she'd chase after him with her rake. She nearly got him once, but luckily my mom was there and she managed to grab Zeus before any further damage could be made.

"Hello Mrs Rosenbaum," I greeted my neighbour.

"Hello dear." She glanced down at Zeus and her whole face tightened. "Dog." Zeus whimpered and almost ducked behind my leg. 

"Lovely day out isn't it?" I said, trying to avert the attention away from my dog. Mrs Rosenbaum returned her eyes to me and just like that all the tension melted away.

"Oh it is very lovely dear. My Goblin Blanket flowers are absolutely thriving right now. See." She turned and pointed to a cluster of bright yellow flowers with an orange middle, situated on the right side of the garden. The whole place was blooming with different coloured flowers and bushes, so if she hadn't directly pointed them out to me, I'd have no idea to which she was referring.

"They're gorgeous." I said, knowing it was always best to keep it short and complimentary otherwise I'd never get away.

"They certainly are." She turned back to me.

 "So how was first day of school?"

 We exchanged pleasantries for a couple of minutes before I finally saw my cue to leave.

 "Oh, I think Zeus is getting ready to do his business." He was sniffing the ground, but didn't look the slightest like he usually did when it was time. Mrs Rosenbaum however, did not know that.