Chapter Twelve - Team Spirit Is A Must

The rest of the week passed in a blur. Jace and I continued to ride to school together and with Caleb's help, I was slowly managing my feelings towards my stepbrother. He had been right, of course, that having Jace loving me as a sibling was much more than maybe having him love me as a girlfriend. Girlfriends came and went, and everyone knew that Jace didn't date, so really, I was content with only feeling sisterly love for him.

Now, Caleb on the other hand was a completely different matter. I had bailed on him the other day when we had suddenly gone into the territory of talking dates. It had taken me completely off guard. To my knowledge, Caleb wasn't one to date any more than Jace was. Then again, no one knew anything about him, so he was good at keeping his private life, well, private.

Friday had come around and the whole school was buzzing about the first game of the season. It was a home game so most of students were planning on going, Carrie and myself included.

Caleb had skipped school up until today, so I hadn't had a chance to talk to him again. When I stepped out of Jace's car in the parking lot that morning, the first thing my eyes caught was Caleb. He was getting off his bike all the way across the lot, but I somehow recognized him. I told Jace I'd see him later and practically skipped across the asphalt.

"Hey stranger," I said when I reached Caleb, a little out of breath. He turned and looked down at me, smiling slightly. He looked good in his signature black leather jacket, with a grey shirt underneath and dark denim jeans.

"Hey yourself."

We walked up the steps together; people were still ogling us, but I wasn't all that aware of it anymore.

"You haven't been to school all week," I stated, but earning only a shrug.

"Are you coming to the game tonight?" I asked, hoping I'd at least get a small conversation going with him today.

We stepped inside the building and he stopped to look at me. I almost felt my insides turn to mush. How no one would be around this gorgeous piece of specimen was beyond me.

"Football isn't really my thing." He started walking again and I hurried to keep up with him.

"That doesn't mean you can't have school spirit. Go Tigers!" He didn't stop, but only shot me a quizzical look. Yeah, I wasn't the most sane person here, so what?

"If I go to the game, does that mean we'll be going together to the party?"

Gulp. Walked straight into that one didn't I?

"If you want to," I said, biting my lip.

"Chloe!" I turned and saw Carrie approaching. Did she have the worst timing ever? I looked at Caleb. He stared at Carrie as she came closer, knowing we were running out of private time.

"I guess it's a date then," he said before turning and walking away.

I couldn't help it; I broke into a massive grin.

"Was my eyes deceiving me or did I just see you and Caleb talking?" Carrie's floral pink dress made her look like a Barbie.

"No, you definitely don't need glasses." She linked her arm through mine and we walked down the hallway.

"Technically, we're going on a date tonight." The expression on Carrie's face was priceless. She was gaping like a fish.

"Wait, tonight? But what about the game?"

"I asked him to go to the game and then go with us to Stacy's party."

Carrie regained her composition.