Chapter Six

"Dad! I'm home!" I shouted as I walked through the door of my house.

Dad was sitting at the dinner table, head in his hands. He looked up at me, eyes puffed up and bloodshot.

"Dad? What happened?" I said.

"We're going to have to find a new home," my dad said, his voice wavering. "I have been fired by an elemental, and we can no longer stay here."

"What?" I whispered. No, no, no! This can't be happening! I'm Alaina, the innkeeper's daughter! But I'm not the innkeeper's daughter anymore... So what am I? What...

"Alaina!" my dad said sharply, his voice cutting through my thoughts the way a knife cuts through a warm stick of butter. "We have to get packed," he said, more gently this time.

"O-okay," I said, feeling lost.

I went upstairs, and slowly packed all of my things, shell-shocked. The few precious seconds I still had at home--wait. This isn't even home anymore. This is just one inn in a thousand, one that is no longer important to my life. A tear streaked down my cheek, and I sniffed and wiped it away, then collected the few bags I had and headed outside to meet my dad. Every step we took away from the inn felt like I was betraying my entire life. I was leaving my home, the only home I'd ever known. Dad went ahead to ask some neighbors if we could stay at their place, and I stumbled along the path like a tortoise, wallowing in my sadness. I felt completely alone. Keeping my head down, I continued walking, not even knowing where I was going.

Suddenly, though, I bump into someone. I look up to apologize, and I see someone totally unexpected. It was Kevin.

*****

HI EVERYONE! SOPHIE HERE! WE FINALLY UPDATED! FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T ALREADY KNOW, I WANT YOU ALL TO CHECK OUT "Tides" by forever_writing_26!!! SHE'S AWESOME, AND THAT'S THE COUNTERPART TO THIS! WE'RE PLANNING ON GETTING A SCHEDULE FOR WRITING AGAIN, SO HOPE YOU ALL LIKE THIS!

-Sophie <3

UPDATE: I changed a bunch of this so the time lines up with that of Tides. forever_writing_26 and I will most likely be updating on Tuesdays. Also, I am starting to add pictures and a cast! If you imagine the characters differently, go ahead doing that! We won't stop you!!!