Chapter Ten: Great

Chapter Ten: Great

     "Ugh, another slide."

     I can barely process the groan Imogen quietly emits from her place in the desk diagonal from mine because I'm too busy flipping my notebook over, and copying down the next set of notes being projected on the dry erase board at the front of the room.

     All the lights are off in the classroom, and if it wasn't for the blue glow from the projector I bet everyone would be asleep. It also doesn't help that we have a bazillion notes to take, and if we don't copy them down in the point two seconds our teacher leaves the slide up then we'd be damned to an eternity of never knowing whether, or not Napoleon Bonaparte is afraid of cats. He is—supposedly—in case you were wondering.

     Once I'm done taking the notes on the current slide, I drop my pen, and reach a finger under my glasses to rub at my eye. I only three classes left until this school day is over. It's also been exactly three whole school days since I've last seen Xavier Cassidy. His sudden absence spurred unnecessary rumors I never would've cared about, nor heard if it wasn't for the girl who occupies the locker beside mine. The craziest one is that Xavier's cutting school to go skydiving with his cousin. Someone must've pulled that out of the rabbit hole before they fell down it, but that's none of my business. The fact that Ryan Cassidy is still in school is also none of my business, yet I still can't help but wonder that, if the rumor where true, wouldn't Ryan want to go skydiving too?  And if people really cared about where Xavier was, couldn't they just ask Ryan?

     The perks of being popular, I guess. You don't have to take the time to write your life story. People just make it up for you as you go. 

     Although, now that I think about it, Xavier said that Ryan was sick last Friday, which can only mean that Xavier couldn't outrun Ryan's runny nose. At least my inference is realistic.

     "Max." The harsh whisper has me snapping my head in Imogen's direction, and she gestures to the front of the room. The second I turn, I'm greeted by a new slide of notes being projected, and our teacher already moving to change it.

****

     "Boo!"

     My startled arm jerks up, and the tip of my elbow slams into my locker door. I frantically rub at the skin there through my long sleeve t-shirt in attempt to ease the pain, but my frantic heartbeat only reminds me of the guy who started the rapid pace in the first place. The supposed "lost without a trance" guy himself. He's not as aloof as they say, though, since he's currently hunched over in laughter at my expense.

     "Man." Xavier sighs as he slowly stands back up to his full height, and flicks the hair off his forehead with a flick of his head. The action proves to be futile when his hair only falls back to its original place. "So." He throws out the word before leaning his blue sweatshirt covered arm against the locker next to mine. "How've you been?"

     "I've been . . . good." Although it's the truth, my hesitation stems from my brains attempt at multitasking. Trying to gather all the things I need to take home while also making casual conversation with Xavier Cassidy is something I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around. Being casual around Xavier Cassidy in general is something I still can't seem to do. Especially, after I haven't seen him for a few days.  Especially, after I obnoxious slam my locker door closed, and emit a rumor I don't even believe. "I heard you went skydiving."

     Xavier blinks back at me. Even though he's now the one standing in the middle of the hallway, I feel like the deer caught in headlights, and I immediately run away before I can become roadkill. My run is more of a speed walk, though, and it only takes a few seconds before Xavier's long strides catch up to mine with his car keys jingling in confirmation.