~BONUS CHAPTER~

Bonus Chapter: RAX's 1st Date

Ryan

My knuckles whiten as my grip tightens around the steering wheel, but I quickly release my grip when I realize it's not helping my already clammy hands. Once I reach a red light, I pass a quick glance to the right only to find that Max is playing with the two braids wrapped like a crown around her head. I'm assured for a split second that I'm not the only one feeling a bit fidgety, but then the light turns green, and I'm reminded of the fact that no light is changing the dead silence between us.

I'm not lying when I say I'm literally itching for something to say. I probably have red marks up and down my neck as I try to think of something, but it seems I'm stuck with not only straw for brain, but also cowardly lion like tendencies. It's pathetic. I'm pathetic. Especially since this isn't the first time we've hung out. Since I recently passed my road test, this is the first time we've hung out without Xavier as a chauffeur. It's not like that made him a buffer, though. Okay, maybe he was a little bit of a buffer, but I'm officially deciding that this current silence is my fault. Unlike the past few weeks I didn't ask her to "hang out" in text form like I usually did. I stupidly said the words "go out," and I suppose I'm now experiencing the inevitable difference.

Just then a sputter of air has me glancing back over in Max's direction, and I do a double take when I realize she's laughing.

"What?" I ask unable to hold back the smile that forms on my face. It's involuntary when she's around.

Max shakes her head in laughter for a few more seconds before glancing over at me in my peripheral vision. "Have you ever realized how many times you blink and then you just can't stop?"

My face scrunches up in confusion, and I give her another dumbfounded, "What?"

Max only continues to laugh, and I quickly put my blinker down before taking a right into a parking lot. After parking in front of Baskin Robbins, I put the car in park, pull the keys out of the ignition, and turn my evident confusion towards her.

"So you can't stop blinking?"

"No—I mean—yes, but—" she laughs again, this time covering her face with her hands before turning her head towards me. "Do you ever count how many times you blink and then it feels like the only thing you notice is your blinking?"

"I—" I start, but as I continue to stare back at her, and the way her eyelids continue to rapidly flutter, another goofy smile stretches across my lips. "You're adorable."

Max makes a few incoherent sounds before she slaps my arm. "You," she squeaks before she unbuckles her seatbelt, and gets out of the car. I'm now the one laughing as I follow suit, but catch up to her just in time to hold the door.

Since the shop is mainly empty, besides a few people and families sitting at tables, both people behind the counter are able to help us with our ice cream orders. I ask for a scoop of cookie dough while Max asks for cookies n' cream, and as our orders are being fulfilled she turns to me with a wrinkled nose.

"Cookie dough?"

"Cookies n' cream?" I counter with raised brows, and she nudges my arm with hers.

"I have—" Max starts trying to dig in her wristlet with one hand while holding her ice cream cup in the other, but I hand over the money while accepting my own cup. After stuffing the change in my pocket I turn back around to face Max's glare, and a ten dollar bill in her hand.

I laugh as I use my open hand to close her hand around the money. "Next time."

Her glare is broken by a pout."You said that last time."