Chapter Thirteen: Let's Go To the Mall

Chapter Thirteen: Let's Go to the Mall

     The discussion between the news reporters on the television screen entertains my right ear as I continue to scroll through my phone. I'm sprawled out across my couch in my pajamas, and plan to stay in this position the entire weekend. My mom happens to be sitting on the love seat perpendicular to my feet wearing her own t-shirt, and plaid pajama bottoms. A steaming mug of coffee sits in her hand and a big bun sits on top of her head. I turn my head towards the T.V. and watch as they advertise some new products just before my phone dings in my hand.

     I have an idea.

     After giving Xavier my number the other day, he texted me that night, promptly providing me with his, but the rest of the week went by and I haven't spoken to him since. I go to exit out of the game I'm playing to respond to his text just as another chimes in.

     Wanna come to the mall with me?

     I abruptly dart up from my lazy position on the couch. "Mom?"

     "Mm," she hums before turning to me with her coffee cup hovering over her lips.

     I lock my phone, and turn the screen black, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing my mom could see are the whites of my eyes. It's nine o'clock in the morning, but all it took was some random text request, and suddenly I'm wide awake.

     "Do you remember how I told you that I've been talking to the older brother to one of the kids in my grade?"

     My mom's eyebrows furrow as she takes a second to think. "Xavier?"

     All I can bring myself to do is frantically nod while her nods are slow as she as makes the full recollection.

     As surprising as it may be to some people, I tell my mom everything. Whether it's something as frivolous as what cereal I ate in the morning, or a full-blown description of the bizarre dream I had the night before. I always confide in her, and it only made sense to tell her about Xavier Cassidy ever since he began making more and more appearances in my everyday life.

     "What about him?" my mom's voice has my eyes flitting back over to her, and I find myself biting the end of my thumbnail.

     "Well, he asked if I wanted to go to the mall with him and um . . ." My eyes land on my iPhone again, and my heart thumps a little too hard against my chest at the two text messages lying beneath the black screen.

     "You can go," my mom chirps, and nods a few times to confirm the statement when my wide eyes land on her again. "As long as you text me when you get there and keep me updated every few hours about what you're doing."

     "I know, but . . ." I trail off again as my stomach knots itself together.

     "Unless you don't want to go," my mom says before finally taking a sip of her coffee.

     My teeth instantly sink into my lower lip while my back finally sinks back down against the back of the couch. By now it may be kind of obvious, and maybe even a little pathetic, but I don't really get out much. My weekends usually consist of doing homework, watching television, and running errands with my mom. That routine is even more pathetic now that Wren's not here to do it with me. Then again, I guess I shouldn't complain since my sister recently confirmed that college doesn't provide enough free time to enable lazy Saturdays.

     My phone beeps in my hand again and the new text lights up the screen.

     How about this, I'll pick up in about an hour.