Chapter 17

Everything seemed to slow down.

The Skywing brought her talons down on Artemis, while Seaglass and Snowfall broke through the gathering crowd together to her aid. The rest of the Opal Winglet shoved their way through close after, snapping at dragons in the way.

Artemis watched as the red claws descended down, down, nearing her face. But she couldn't do much about it.

A sudden burning sensation filled Artemis's veins, and the blue light she dreaded returned. Her mind was filled with fast Skywings, their huge wings, long tails, all while a hissing noise filled her ears. She lifted her head as the talons from the dragon raked across her face.

She roared in alarm, her head cracking against the ground. Time returned to its normal stance, and she could just faintly hear Mamba screaming at the Skywing to back off in the background.

Blood clouded her vision, but the blue light still shone through. She slowly gazed down at the necklace, as the black stone momentarily swirled into a fiery red gemstone, ruby. The tail over it shimmered into gold. But something different happened...it began to glow.

Tiny golden veins that danced in the gemstone shimmered and gleamed. The ruby shone like caged fire, desperate to break free. It consumed her, but she felt nothing from it.

A weird feeling began to wave over Artemis' scales. It was like they were slowly stripping away, but it wasn't painful. The burning from the cut on Artemis's face vanished. She felt her jaw shift, and mold into place. Her horns suddenly felt lighter, and a weight fell over her shoulders. Her tail lashed against the floor with a new energy, something most strange to her.

The feeling had now disappeared, leaving a confused Artemis to figure things out. A couple of startled gasps rang out from the crowd, and Artemis turned to see what had happened. The Skywing from earlier was looking at her, in fear, and dangerous curiosity.

"Moon-cursed freak." She muttered.

Artemis growled, standing up. I'm no freak! She thought angrily, ready to give her a piece of her mind.

But her legs stretched farther than she was used to, and she almost toppled over. She spread out her wings for balance, but a huge shadow fell over everybody. A few dragonets jumped in surprised.

Artemis caught a shape of orange and gold in the corner of her gaze. Ignoring it, she looked forwards, confused. She met all of her friend's eyes. Their faces were etched with fear.

"What's wrong?" She asked , her voice a bit higher than usual.

Mamba looked at Artemis, stretching out a talon that pointed right at the orange and gold shape, like she was reaching out to touch it. She followed her friends talon, and gazed at the gold and orange figure.

Discovering it was no ordinary shape, but a wing, a huge one at that, she followed the rest of the wing down, it meeting to a similar colored body. Her neck was fully twisted around, and she shifted on her talons, watching in surprise as the wing's owner moved exactly the same way.

"No.." She mumbled. She slowly looks down, her eyes facing orange, gold, and yellow Skywing paws. Artemis timidly lifted one foot, watching the Skywing talons move with her. "This isn't possible." She cried.

"What in the moons..."A small voice said from the crowd. Artemis looked up to see the bright green dragon from before as she took a step back from her. The tan Sandwing from earlier nodded in agreement, as the Seawing murmured, as did a shimmering Icewing. A Mudwing said something in his ear, and Artemis was caught up in the cacophony of words that were now all together as they should be, but whispering anything and everything about her.

Dragonets mumbled to one another, exchanging words and casting curious looks at Artemis.

"Some sort of magic." One decided.

"Maybe a curse?"

"Another trick. Another threat."

She folded the huge wings to her side, watching helplessly as her friends stared on in horror. Artemis shook her head at them, her mind rising a panic. She had to her out.

She threw open her wings, which unfurled with a snap. As the turned, she caught orange eyes from the corner of her own. Shadowbender watched Artemis. His face held dismay, but a different emotion was behind his eyes.

"Don't." He began, stepping forwards and stretching out his talons.

Artemis brought down her Skywing wings, racing out to the open walls of the prey center. She was rocketed into the air by them very fast. She flew up so quickly and so blank-minded that the prey center was just a blob of color in seconds.

She glided in the open air, letting her new wings carry her wherever. Her mind was racing with thoughts, and she knew she had to be in clear skies to clean up the mess she had just made.