Chapter 23

Artemis stared out at the arena sands, her heartbeat rising. They were already dragging a victim across the sands. She closed her eyes and hoped it wasn't the dragonet she thought it was.

Yet, when she opened her eyes again, Nova still was being corralled by a few Skywing guards. Despite the faint red waves vibrating across her white scales, she looked the same as when Artemis had met her.

Her tail was dragging like a weight as three Skywings hauled her to the open arena, throwing her onto the sand like a bag of scraps. Growling a few unheard curses, Nova watched with narrowed eyes as one of the guards carefully removed the chain around her barbed tail, jumping back in alarm with a yelp when she swung it at her.

Nova smirked and lifted her wings slightly in pride, opening them the best the clips allowed her to. Ruby muttered something to Artemis's right, but otherwise stayed deadly quiet as her snake-like gaze was focused on Nova.

They were bringing down the second dragon from the spires, a strange looking Seawing. He was rather pale, his scales and circular glow spots more of a soft dark yellow, with hints of white spots among them. His head hung loosely and he gave no fight at all, making it easy for the two guards carrying him. As they flung him to the sand, Artemis could see a long, jagged scar running across his eye to his snout, much like a burnt talon mark.

What could've caused that? She thought as she subconsciously moved just a tad bit closer to the edge. As well as Flare.

The Seawing got to his feet, his gills flaring as he sighed, casting a miserable gaze at Nova, who titled her head with confusion, like she was studying this dragon too.  A different dragon twirled down into the arena, seemingly out of nowhere. A Skywing, obviously, judging by his massive wings. His scales were a red like Flare, but a little darker.

"That's Vermillion." Flare mutters, tracing his talon on the floor.

Artemis raised a brow, a nagging sensation in the back of her head told her Flare didn't like him very much, but she didn't press.

"Let's welcome our two fighters today, shall we?" Hollered Vermillion, pumping his wings as he circled the arena. "Both unnatural mistakes to Pyhrria, they will go down in a storm of blood and glory!"

"We have, Phyllorhiza of the Seawings!" Vermillion shouts. "But he likes to be called Phyllor." He winked down at the Seawing who groaned and turned his head.

"He will be going on with his second win!" Vermillion glided above Nova. "Next, and most shocking." His voice boomed. "Dingo, of all the tribes! Falling in as our best fighter with five wins!"

Artemis stared intently down at Vermillion, resisting the urge to correct him. Nova must've had a reason to lie about her name. Was Nova the correct name she told Artemis? Or was she really Dingo, as Vermillion said?

A loud chorus of shocked and outraged gasps came from the crowd, along with a lot of booing and things like- "Stuff her gills!" "Cut off her wings!" "Blood!" "No hybrids allowed!"

Artemis mentally slapped herself for being so stupid. She should've known she was a full on hybrid! She certainly knew Nova wasn't normal, but this shocked her, just as it did all the other dragons.

"Good luck, my dear." Vermillion called down at Nova, waving a talon as he landed between Nova and Phyllor, his wings sending up a spray of sand.

"Claws up, teeth ready, fight!" He screeched, taking off in a hurry. The crowd began to shout helpful tactics on how to snap a neck. It's safe to say Artemis was...disturbed.

Nova's gaze fell over Phyllor, and she looked reluctant to hurt the miserable Seawing. Her eyes flicked up to the stands where Artemis sat anxiously, shoulder to shoulder with Flare.

"Go on." Phyllor sighs, spreading his wings and squeezing his eyes shut. "Please, make it quick."

Nova wringed her talons, her teeth gritting together as her eyes drifted up at Queen Ruby. She gave her the coldest glare, colder than the Ice Kingdom.

Ruby shifted nervously on her seat, uneasiness plastering her face. Artemis admired Nova's courage to do something like that, knowing she probably never could.

Maybe. She thought to herself, her mind a haze.

Nova began to circle Phyllor, probing him to try and fight.

"Come on. Don't just stand there."

"Just end me." He pleaded. "I'm a curse to Pyhrria. My animus powers, they'll turn me mad!"

Nova froze, fear replaced her anger, then confusion settled in. "Animus?" She muttered.

"I've used them too much to win my way through this arena. I'd rather die than go insane here." Phyllor said through grit teeth.

Artemis stared in shock, Flare sharing her surprise.

"Listen, Phyllor." Nova whispered, slinking a little closer. "I...I understand your fear of your powers." She says, her eyes hardening. "But I can't just kill you. I can't harm you if you don't fight back."

"I cannot." Phyllor said softly.

"Why not?" Nova cries.

The crowd was beginning to get riled up and angry, the dragons filling the stands shouting rudely and hissing with annoyance.

"Blood!" Cried a Sandwing from the stands.

"Will you just shut up for a second?" Nova roared, making the Sandwing shrink back into his seat.

"Listen, then." Phyllor ordered, urging Nova closer. She looked hesitant for a second, but came a little closer. "I can help you escape." He says, his eyes glittering. "If you won't kill me, I'm sure the guards will." He whispered.

"But-" Nova began.

"Dingo, you can be free" Phyllor said kindly, putting a talon on Nova's. "Promise me you'll fly away. Far, far away from this horrid place."

Nova looked guiltily at the sand, small spots of her scales flowering dark blue and indigo. Artemis guessed she didn't care if her feelings showed at this point.

"Okay." Nova agreed, meeting Phyllor's smiling face.

"Good."

Nova sighed inwardly, inching back.

"And one more thing." Phyllor said, making Nova turn back around. "The next time you see Queen Ruby? Kick her tail for me."

Nova's bindings unlocked. In the blink of an eye, she was up in the air, causing the dazed guards to react poorly.

"ARTEMIS!" Nova screeched out to the crowds, making Artemis almost fall over on Flare in shock.

Ruby was in the air, roaring at her guards, demanding them to kill Phyllor and capture Nova. In a flurry of yellow, red and orange scales they took off, no match for Nova's speed. Artemis realized this was her chance. She wheeled around on a confused Flare, giving him a deeply sad look.

"I'm sorry, Flare. I'm not who you think I am." She says, snapping open her wings. "Find me at Jade Mountain. I'll be there." Artemis promised, throwing her arms around Flare in a tight hug.

"Melt-" Flare began, but Artemis cut him off.

"It's Artemis." She pulled the thick chain from her neck, tossing it aside as she shook some of the diamonds off her scales.

With that, she launched herself into the air, catching up with Nova on her huge wings. She clasped her necklace in her talons, aiming for just a bit of comfort as she flew for her life.

Ruby was still trying to organize her confused guards, hollering a deafening roar of pure rage. They climbed into the starry sky, just as Phyllor's dying scream echoed behind them.