Chapter 5

Gordie's POV

I walked back to my house with Mary since our houses were next to each other. She just seemed to herself. I don't really like that about people and usually I can get them to open up. I think we will be really close, especially with what happened in the alley.

"Mary, are you the only child?" I spoke through the silence. She looked up.

" Yeah, after I was born, my father left so my mother couldn't really get back on her feet. For anything. " she said, quietly. I nodded.

" Yanno, my older brother died a few years back, jeep accident. I know I didn't go through exactly what you are now but you can come to me. I won't tell Chris anything." I ended with a smile.

Mary's POV

"- I won't tell Chris anything." Gordie said, ending with a smile. I smiled back.

" wait, what do you mean?" I said, acting dumb. I think he noticed.

"You like him. I can tell, I see emotion through people." Gordie spoke while pointing to an old women.

" she looks as if she's been through a tough time, but look. She's smiling, even when people aren't around." He said. " that'll be you." He ended.

I smiled. Gordie is a good friend. I can tell we're going to get along. I look up as we arrive to my house.

" okay, you meet up with the boys and I'll get the house and food ready."

Gordie nodded while walking to his house to grab some "sleepover" gear.

I went inside and put some kernals in a pot with aluminum over the top for popcorn. I turned the stove on half way and proceeded upstairs for pillows and blankets. I grabbed 3 comforters and 5 loose blankets with some throw pillows. And we also have the guest bedrooms bed and couch. Damn, Jane was loaded. I got back to getting everything ready. I picked out some movies and grabbed some Cokes from the fridge. I walk to the finished popcorn and add butter and salt and let it sit too cool. I hear the front door open. It's probably the boys.

Jane! " Oh hey Jane! Sorry I forgot to ask, and I don't know your works number, but can I have a few friends stay?" I said, sweetly on purpose.

She put her purse on the table and took off her shoes. She took a seat.

" Sure! Actually, that's perfect. I'm having a night out, or nights with my girlfriends at the motel a few miles down." She said. "That's why I got off work early."

"Thanks! But the thing is, they are boys. And I won't do anything stupid Jane. I know what you're thinking, but they are the closest thing I have to friends right now." I say, pouting.

" I know you're responsible from your mothers notes. I know everything was hard moving but I'm trusting you to be smart and not burn my house down." She responded, and added a wink.

I smile.

" who are these boys?" She said getting her shoes back on after checking her watch.

"Teddy the funny one from down the street, Vern, the childish sweetheart, the neighbor Gordie and Chris Chambers."

Jane looked up. " Eyeball won't be coming around, right?"

"Right." I said with a stern face.

"Good, that kid knows how to get on my nerves. I- oops! The girls are out front." She says after a horn outside goes off. She kisses my cheek and grabbed her purse and a piece of popcorn before leaving. I smile to myself, turn the stove off and continue moving the couch to the wall in the guest room for more sleep space.

After about 5 minutes, the front door opens and I immediately know it's boys. I can hear them eating the popcorn already. I walk downstairs to the boys in pajamas and see Vern pouring in Pez in the popcorn.

"What? It adds flavor, sincerely!" He said as we all eyed him.

"Hi, okay this is my house, follow me and I'll give you a full tour done by yours truly." I say as I take a bow and giggle.

I walk to the kitchen showing them where everything is.

" I'll just hold onto this." Teddy says, clutching the popcorn. We all laugh and go upstairs.

I open the door to my room which just got done unpacking.

" Hey Mary, why do you have a ladder outside your window?" Chris asked.
I look over.

"Oh, I had to take this stupid branch off the side of my window, it was driving me nuts." I responded.

"You can also sneak out, I mean if you're brave enough." Said Teddy with a cocked eyebrow.

" Psh, I can sneak in and out whenever I please." I responded with my chin held high.

I could also sneak the boys in when its 3am and I'm bored, I thought. Haha.

After I finished the tour, we all gathered in the guest room. We had a big bowl of popcorn, 3 comforters on the floor and a lot of pillows. Chris put in a scary movie and the boys seemed to be ecstatic about it. I wasn't, I've never seen a scary movie except for drive in movies, and the radio volume sucked. I was on the right end, closest to the end of the bed, to my left was Chris, Gordie, Teddy and Vern. Except Teddy was sprawled out between Gordie and Vern on his stomach going to town on the Popcorn. Or Pezcorn.

After a while, the movie was more intense and I noticed I had myself clinging on the comforter with my knees against my chest. I caught a short glance at Chambers. He looked so interested in the scene. I looked at the screen just in time for a scary pop up. I flinch and without hesitation, Chris puts his arm around my waist and covered him and I with the blanket he was handed. He leaned his head on mine, which was on his shoulder.

After I put in a comedy, we were all filled with laughing fits which led to Teddy telling Verno to shut up, which led to the song, which led to a pillow fight, which led to sleeplessness. The boys could talk about everything and anything. They could stay up for days talking about Goofy being a dog or not. I decided to lay down and try to sleep. Verno slept first, then Teddy. They were like the perfect old married couple. I could still hear Chris and Gordie talking about the time they took Teddys shoe and threw it in the lake. After their quiet laughs, I heard Gordie speak up.

" Hey man, is she asleep?" He says, putting a hand motion on me.

Chris turned and bent down and moved the hair out of my face and gave a thumbs up to Gordie.

" Good. You like her?" Gordie spoke.

Ah, I didn't want to know. Sleep, cmon Mary sleep!

I felt Chris shift and I felt his eyes burn holes through me. There was a silence and a burning sensation in my stomach.

" Yeah, I think I do. I mean I feel like I already know her. Yanno? It's one of those feelings. She probably heard about Eyeball and thinks I'm the same." He sighs.

Gordie started, " You are no where near  as bad as eyeball. Eyeball ruined her hat, and you carried her over a puddle. I think she likes you too. I can see the emotion on her face when you guys lock eyes."

"Really?" Chris replied.

Chris POV

What if Mary did like me? I dunno. A perfect girl with long brown hair and hazel eyes to like a broken guy like me. She probably wouldn't like me after she figured out who I really am. Just a chamber. My thoughts took over as I laid down next to Mary. Gordie was half asleep, and I just turned facing Mary's back and brought her closer.

------

wow my thumbs hurt. Anyways, this is already 1.4K words in just a chapter. Okay byeeee❤️😘