Chapter 8

Mary's POV

After the swim, I needed some time to myself and went home. I haven't been around girls in 24 hours, which really isn't bothering me, but I still had to explain all this shit going on to Jane. I walked in the house after waving goodbye to Gordie and saw Jane sitting at the kitchen table drinking some cold tea. She greeted me with a warming smile.

"There you are, busy thing!" She said after taking a sip of tea.

I sheepishly smile. "Yes, here I am."

"Hey, I'll be in Omaha for a few days for my parents anniversary and Grandpas birthday. I have to be at the train station at 10, I could get Martha to watch over you, she works with m-"

"Oh." I said.

" what's wrong?" She replied motioning me to sit down.

"Well," I started. Should I tell her about Chris? She's the only girl I'll be around for awhile. So I continued.

"Ace Merrill and Chris Chambers." I sighed.

"What the hell did they do?" She said while scooting closer to me. I hope she didn't the wrong idea.

"Ace wants me to be apart of his friend group. But Eyeball is helping me by keeping him away. And Chris-" I was interrupted.

"And????" She basically yelled.

I laughed. " He's great. He's been so welcoming and sweet to me, and Gordie thinks he likes me..." I smiled.

"He has my blessing!" She said while petting my head. " But Ace, I'm going to have to keep you here for awhile. Maybe it won't be such a bad idea if they boys stay away. I don't want a weird older boy stalking you at my house." She ended slowly.

"What? Jane, you're gone all the time! They are my only friends!"

" it's been a day!" Jane stated.

"All the girls at the diners were judging me because I had the same blouse as another girl. They are all going to my school next year, Jane. I've never had guy friends. They are actually a lot better." I said, convincing. "Remember when I used the ladder to get the branch off the window like 5 minutes after I got here? What if they just climbed up that so Ace didn't see. They can just go over the hill from the tree house." I said pouting.

Jane sighed. She wasn't convinced.

"They are really helping me. Especially when I can't have these talks with you." I ended, looking at the old tile floor.

" Fine. But if Ace eve- " she started but was soon startled with a big hug from me. I ran outback to get Gordies attention to fill him in. I didn't know which window was his. Damn. His parents car wasn't home, so maybe he was home alone. But I couldn't risk Ace running in to me. I picked up a small rock and threw it to the kitchen window. Nothing. Again with the living room. None. I picked up a long stick. Our rooms were only 10 feet away from each other occurring to Gordie. If I'm right, the room with the opened curtain and slightly opened window is him. I could heard the radio. I really hope is Gordie and no one else. I grabbed the stick and threw it and it went in. Fuck yes.

I heard the radio go off and the window curtain flung open. It was Gordie.

"What are you doing? It's like 9!" He said.

" First, are you busy and where are your parents?" I replied with a smile.

"No and visiting my grandparents for the rest of the week, why?" He questioned.

"Jane said I couldn't leave the house because of Ace. I had to tell her. Can you get the boys?" I replied, trying not to be loud because of the neighbors.